Google Merchant Addon Issues

omktg

Hey guys @Yaros @Ekaterina Sayapina

I've been using the addon for a while, and found some issues...

1. The addon creates an extra long feed, its looks like it creates a different feed item for every single attribute inside our product page, like for example:

Screenshot-341.png

In that product page, the addon would create a feed item for every single image, but also a different feed item for each model, in this case:

image 1 with iphone 6 6s
image 1 with iphone 6 6s plus
image 1 with my model

image 2 with iphone 6 6s
image 2 with iphone 6 6s plus
image 2 with my model

...etcetcetc

And actually, that is not needed, because the correct format according to Google would be:
image 1 with 6/6s/6 plus/6s plus/my model
image 2 with 6/6s/6 plus/6s plus/my model
...etcetcetc

So instead of having a ton of feed items for every single product page, we would only need 6 feed items for that example.

And if we look again at the image above, the "Model:" items are also not well formatted, so Google won't be able to pic them up correctly:

Screenshot-346.png

Model: iPhone 6 6s | iPhone 6 6s plus | My model

The correct version would be:
iPhone Version or iPhone Model: 6/6s | 6 plus/6s plus | My model <- if the last one is actually an iPhone model

Source: Merchant Center XML feed example

Screenshot-342.png

So this applies to every attribute in our feed, IF an item has more than one attribute for the same product/image, we need to separate the variations with /

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/7052112

Screenshot-343.png

2. There are some addon Attributes I couldn't find in the Google Product Data Specification:

Screenshot-344.png

I couldn't find model, type and variation, so they are actually not used in our generated feed/Google merchant. So if we are using any of those in our products setup, they are not going to be shown in our feed.
3. There is an SKU number in every single feed item URL. This is not actually an issue, but I am not sure why we are using this, and why we are placing it within our product URL.

Example:
https://www.domain.com/product-page/?sku=100000234:200000567;200000898:123456

Is this because we need a GTIN or a MPN number? Are we using this for something else? Could you please explain why we are using this?

Those are the issues I found so far that should be fixed. And we as store owners will need to format our attributes correctly separating them with a / because otherwise Google wont be able to pick the correct variations for each item.

I also have one suggestion to make this plugin better after fixing the issues above.

1. Add an option to preview the feed items like in the Recent Sales Pop Up addon: [If we apply the / separation rule, we will have a lot less feed items]

Screenshot-345.png

But with smaller images, for example using the ones our theme creates for thumbnails, or something like that but avoid creating new thumbnails. The idea here is to preview particular feed item groups or specific products.

Here we need to be able to at least, change images, titles, and descriptions if needed.

The reason for this, is because we can upload a different image to Google, we don't need to use just the image in our product variations.

If we are running a Google Ads campaign, and we identify that a product or products are working but they need a higher CTR, we will be able to change the image we want to upload to our merchant center here without messing around with our product page. And the same goes for the Title and Description... If we need more keywords, we will be able to do it faster here.

I'm already testing this with Google Sheets, and it works perfect, because I dont have to use the same title for each image/variation within the same product page. For example if you are selling Naruto Phone Cases like in the first image I posted, and each variation has a different character, you will be able to set a different name for each image/variation instead of using the product title for all of them.

Last edited:

Dimitriy Strekalov

Administrator
Staff member
Hello! Thank you for your interest in our products!

Let me reply to your suggestions:

1. We do not use the "/" symbol to create variations in our feeds, because there might be differences in pricing, which may obviously cause errors.

2. These attributes ('model', 'type' and 'variation') are also necessary. You are right, saying that you couldn't find them in the Google Product Data Specification. But, when you import some products from AliExpress, these products may contain these attributes and in this case these attributes are to be included necessarily. We are constantly developing our products while testing them on our own e-commerce projects (like Hokage Store) and once we've discovered this issue and decided to include these attributes in order to avoid any further inconveniences.

3. We are using SKU for so-called 'Google-Robot', which checks prices for product variations.

Best regards

omktg

Hey @Dimitriy Strekalov ,

Thank you for your answers.

1. Mmm I see, it's true that sometimes the prices vary according to colors, sizes or some other variation. But it is also true that this would only work if the URL that you use for each element of the feed [The one with the SKU] has as a landing page the variation and price correctly pre-selected.

Screenshot-351.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265

2. Dimitriy, what I was referring to, is that besides not finding those attributes in the Product Data Specification, the plugin is not adding them to the feed either.

I see that the idea in the plugin is to match the Google Data Feed attributes, with those that we have in our store. But if you check the feed created by the plugin none of the attributes of the products added here appears in the feed.

Screenshot-344.png

Also, if you say that these values are necessary, tell me what attribute within the Product Data Feed are you giving them? Since you must put them into one of the pre-established attributes, and I see that that is not happening, therefore they are not being used.

3. Well, if you say that you are using SKU for Google to update prices, that is not necessary because you are already using a unique ID for each product in the feed, and Google takes the ID as if it were an SKU.

They recommend the usage of SKUs but only to avoid accidental re-usage of IDs.

Screenshot-350.png

Screenshot-349.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324405

If, you want Google to update prices without having to fetch the feed again, you would have to use Structured Data Markup within the code of the store/theme/product pages. If you just want to update the prices via feed, then Google will just use the Item IDs to match each product.

Screenshot-347.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/3246284

In addition, for Google to be able to read the prices of the variations, each URL with a different ?sku=1234 must have pre-selected the variation that you indicate with the price according to this variation.

So if we have 2 variations of a product:
variation 1 sku=123 / price=27.00 USD / thumbnail A
variation 2 sku=456 / price=35.00 USD / thumbnail B

Each different URL [Product landing page] in the feed need to have the correct pre-selected variation for auto-update to work:
www.store.com/?sku=123
thumbnail A/price=27.00 USD

www.store.com/?sku=456
thumbnail B/price=35.00 USD

Otherwise the prices will be changed to the one that appears on the web page of arrival.

Screenshot-348.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6069143

4. After fixing those issues within the Google Merchant Addon, the feed preview/edit option would be a great addition to improve the performance of our shopping campaigns.

ibrendan

Hey @Dimitriy Strekalov ,

Thank you for your answers.

1. Mmm I see, it's true that sometimes the prices vary according to colors, sizes or some other variation. But it is also true that this would only work if the URL that you use for each element of the feed [The one with the SKU] has as a landing page the variation and price correctly pre-selected.

Screenshot-351.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/4752265

2. Dimitriy, what I was referring to, is that besides not finding those attributes in the Product Data Specification, the plugin is not adding them to the feed either.

I see that the idea in the plugin is to match the Google Data Feed attributes, with those that we have in our store. But if you check the feed created by the plugin none of the attributes of the products added here appears in the feed.

Screenshot-344.png

Also, if you say that these values are necessary, tell me what attribute within the Product Data Feed are you giving them? Since you must put them into one of the pre-established attributes, and I see that that is not happening, therefore they are not being used.

3. Well, if you say that you are using SKU for Google to update prices, that is not necessary because you are already using a unique ID for each product in the feed, and Google takes the ID as if it were an SKU.

They recommend the usage of SKUs but only to avoid accidental re-usage of IDs.

Screenshot-350.png

Screenshot-349.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6324405

If, you want Google to update prices without having to fetch the feed again, you would have to use Structured Data Markup within the code of the store/theme/product pages. If you just want to update the prices via feed, then Google will just use the Item IDs to match each product.

Screenshot-347.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/3246284

In addition, for Google to be able to read the prices of the variations, each URL with a different ?sku=1234 must have pre-selected the variation that you indicate with the price according to this variation.

So if we have 2 variations of a product:
variation 1 sku=123 / price=27.00 USD / thumbnail A
variation 2 sku=456 / price=35.00 USD / thumbnail B

Each different URL [Product landing page] in the feed need to have the correct pre-selected variation for auto-update to work:
www.store.com/?sku=123
thumbnail A/price=27.00 USD

www.store.com/?sku=456
thumbnail B/price=35.00 USD

Otherwise the prices will be changed to the one that appears on the web page of arrival.

Screenshot-348.png

Source: https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6069143

4. After fixing those issues within the Google Merchant Addon, the feed preview/edit option would be a great addition to improve the performance of our shopping campaigns.

Great suggestions! You've certainly put some thought and time into this.

omktg

Great suggestions! You've certainly put some thought and time into this.

Thank you,
I think if they implement these changes [The Alidropship Team], we could make this addon really good. Personally I think that the Google Merchant addon should consider all the points in the first post.

Last edited: