Pricing

Mike T

Hi,

Just out of curiosity:

I received an email today saying that there is a proposed class action settlement against Wish.com over pricing practices.

The lawsuit claims that Wish.com improperly inflated the "original" prices on items that are higher than the prices for which those items ever sold. This alleged practice is known "false former pricing." As part of the Settlement, Defendant Wish.com has agreed to change its pricing practices and provide payments to customers. Wish.com denies any wrongdoing.[...]The Court will hold an Approval Hearing in the Circuit Court of Phelps County, Missouri, 200 North Main Street, Rolla, Missouri 65401, in the courtroom of the Honorable William Earl Hickle, on March 28, 2018 at 8:00 a.m., to decide whether to approve the Settlement and to award Attorneys' Fees and Expenses of $2,100,000.00, and up to $3,000.00 as a Class Representative Award to each of the four Class Representatives. The Attorney Fee and Expense Award and the Class Representative Service Award are to be paid by the Defendant and do not reduce the recovery by the Class in any way. All briefs and materials filed in support of the Settlement and the Application for Attorney Fee and Expense Award will be made available on the Settlement Website at www.WishPricingSettlement.com. You may attend this hearing, but you do not have to.

On a different thread, I've being asking about the US liability of certain practices such as importing reviews and was told that I worry too much. I don't want to be the guy that always says that a thing can't be done because of this reason and that reason (I don't like when someone does that to me) and I would rather look into how something can be done despite this issue and that issue, etc.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking that advertising full prices now and then should take care of the issue. Although I'm not sure for how long and if you are required to make any sales. This would be an interesting addition to this great plugin - a sales/pricing scheduling feature.

Thanks

Last edited:

Mike T

Let me answer my own question:
You need a solid pricing strategy. A real one.
Anyone interested can read about it here.
http://www.lawpublish.com/ftc-decprice.html
There were a few lawsuits against physical stores for the same practice (such as department stores) last year. Whether the Wish.com lawsuit will be successful or not, we'll have to wait and see.
Looks like getting an Internet Law degree might be a good idea ;)

Aiae

Hi Mike,

This is a very interesting issue. I don't know if it's the same in EU but they have a good point never the less.

Last edited: