How to Disable "To TOP" arrow

Direct Webstore

how about php files and others ?

The style.css allows other files to "know what's going on" ... lol. Everything in the child theme over-rides the it's counter- file in the mother theme ... except images. You don't need to worry about images. (That's whole new can of worms I'm not getting into. )

What happen if there is an update from mother theme (ex.adding additional codes) and affecting the files that we copy and modify in child theme ?

Changes in files like that are handled by the mother theme. The mother theme files are actually not 100% over-ridden. That's why it's important to keep updating the mother theme. The child theme will benefit from any improvements. Don't worry about it.

In over one year of theme updates, the only time my child theme had a problem was when they changed the name of "home-page.php" to "front-page.php". That was a terrifying day in my child theme's history and was fixed in 5 minutes by putting a new copy of the file into my child theme and copy/pasting the edits in the old "home-page.php to the new "front-page.php" ... something that only ever happens when the Developers drink too much Vodka.

:)

Last edited:

cleve

Everything in the child theme over-rides the it's counter- file in the mother theme ... except images.
And mother theme settings that I have made before also gone (like typography etc), I have to make similar settings again to child theme exactly like mother theme.

Direct Webstore

And mother theme settings that I have made before also gone (like typography etc), I have to make similar settings again to child theme exactly like mother theme.

Any changes you make/have made in the mother theme will get over written with updates. That's what the child theme is for. That's why you do ALL your theme edits to the child theme. Leave the mother alone. If you have any edits in the mothers files ... just copy those files to the child theme ... and don't do it again.

*** EXCEPT the style.css as mentioned already. ***
If you have edits in the mothers style.css copy them to the child's style.css and put a fresh untouched mother theme style.css in place. (Download a mother theme and extract it)

Last edited:

cleve

Thanks for your looong explanation and help.
Really appreciate it. I have made the child theme successfully and do the setting to it exactly like it's mother.... ;)

Direct Webstore

Great! Well done. It should work with no problems as long as everything is done correctly.
It's only human error and typos on your part and drunk developers changing home page file names that will cause problems. LOL :)