High CPU Usage - Maxed out, server crashed

adeux

Alidropship Woo product updates are causing my server to max out its CPU. It also seems to be causing PHP-FPM to crash resulting in error 503.

I have tested this with no plugins and the issue still happens.

I attach a report of my CPU usage as well as alerts from my host about server downtime and PHP FPM.

Attachments

• downtime and fpm.png
    downtime and fpm.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IdleCPU.png
    IdleCPU.png
    89 KB · Views: 17
  • 503.png
    503.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 16

adeux

This seems to be related to product updates and improper use of MySQL queries - I can see from my logs that there is a HUGE amount of scans and loops. Do you not index the tables? This seems so overly excessive!

I cannot risk my production site becoming unresponsive again or having any server processes crash as a result of product updates.

Is this issue able to be resolved? If not would you please consider issuing me a refund as I will have to uninstall the plugin and find an alternative.

Many thanks

Yaros

Staff member
Unfortunately starting from scratch would be too much work for me to undertake at the moment.
It's a shame the plugin is obfuscated as this, in theory, should be an incredibly easy fix.
Thank you for the details! Are you using the latest version?

Yaros

Staff member
Hi Yaros,
Yes, I'm using ADSW version 1.3.5
Got it, thanks! Seems we will need to slow down the updating process. After recent WooCommerce updates it takes more time to save all the product data in databases. btw what is your hosting provider?

adeux

Got it, thanks! Seems we will need to slow down the updating process. After recent WooCommerce updates it takes more time to save all the product data in databases. btw what is your hosting provider?

Cloudways (more specifically Digital Ocean)

Direct Webstore

find an alternative.
The Original plugin doesn't have this problem.
Unfortunately starting from scratch would be too much work

Unfortunately, that's what finding an alternative would involve. :(

May I ask ... how many products are in your site?

I have 6 sites each with around 100 products each (so far), all on the same server and I have no CPU problems ... so far. (On Hostgator Business Cloud) . As far as I know the automatic updates probably run at the same time on all 6 sites ... so let's make that 600 products updating. About half of them variable products. (All those extra **images make it worse)

So I'm trying to establish the highest number of products it takes to trigger the problem.

**Talking about images @Yarros, is it true that during updating, all the images are updated too? I think I read it somewhere. If so, how about cutting that out. Just update the stock levels and prices only.

:)

Last edited:

Mar

**Talking about images @Yarros, is it true that during updating, all the images are updated too? I think I read it somewhere. If so, how about cutting that out. Just update the stock levels and prices only.
To make sure product images are not updated and update only run when prices, stock level, etc. change, deactivate auto update and set Update options of individual product.

1546911688969.png

Direct Webstore

To make sure product images are not updated and update only run when prices, stock level, etc. change, deactivate auto update and set Update options of individual product.

That's good to know! Has this solved your high CPU usage problem?

Direct Webstore

I don't get it. All my products already have "Update Automatically" set. How will they update if Automatic Update is turned off in the Alidropship/Update settings??? Or do you mean to update them individually, product by product via that "Update" button on each product listing? Surely not.

Yaros

Staff member
@Yarros ... is this correct? I'm only going by hearsay.
That's correct, we do not have such a problem with the original plugin, because we are using our own methods there for WordPress. Unfortunatelly, we can't do the same with WooCommerce since it has its own structure and methods of storing product data.

Mar

That's good to know! Has this solved your high CPU usage problem?
I am using the free Centos Web Panel and CPU usage is not included in System stats. But when I activate auto update, immediately the memory usage shoot up near the limit. When I deactivate auto update, the memory usage immediately goes down and I assume it has the same effect of CPU usage. Although auto update is deactivated, I can see the products in Draft folder growing and also I can see it in the Activities list, meaning updates are working but not the same way when auto update is activated.

1546923791900.png

Mar

I don't get it. All my products already have "Update Automatically" set. How will they update if Automatic Update is turned off in the Alidropship/Update settings??? Or do you mean to update them individually, product by product via that "Update" button on each product listing? Surely not.
No, you don't need to update each product but I believe due to my observations and tests that this update in individual product will only run when Status, Variations, Price and stock of products change in AliExpress.