FIELD CITY DROP-DOWN MENU

Noname

Hi,

there are two buttons when a customer after selecting a product wants to make payment for the product, "ADD TO CART" and "CHECK OUT WITH PAYPAL" buttons. When the customer clicks "ADD TO CART" button, and then proceeds to click "PROCEED TO CHECKOUT BUTTON", it will bring to a page where it shows 'CART' and below it is a 'PLEASE FILL IN YOUR SHIPPING DETAIL' form.

In this form, a customer is required to fill in his address, country, city, state/region and postal code and the city field is a drop-down menu showing a list of predetermined name of cities of a particular country and state/region selected by the customer. The issue arises when a customer after selecting his country and state/region in the drop-down list of the country and state/region fields, is required to select a drop-down list of city on the "CITY" field which he wants his product to be shipped to as part of his postal address. The drop-down predetermined list of city name on the "CITY" field is not exhaustive. It does not cover all the cities of a particular country. For example, Roxburgh Park, Broadmeadows and Wallan are cities in the state of Victoria of Australia. But Roxburgh Park, Broadmeadows and Wallan and many other cities in Victoria are not listed out in the drop-down predetermined list of "CITY" field. This will create problem with customers in wanting their products purchased to be shipped to their address if their cities are not listed in the predetermined drop-down list. And this will definitely lead to customers abandoning their carts and not making purchase at all because of this issue.

This issue does not arise when a customer clicks "CHECK OUT WITH PAYPAL" button as the city field under the BILLING ADDRESS form is a fill-up by customer himself and not a drop-down predetermined list of city.

Could ALIDROPSHIP IT department kindly change the "CITY" field under "ADD TO CART" and "PROCEED TO CHECKOUT BUTTON" as a free typing fill-up by customer himself instead of programming it as a predetermined drop-down list of city which actually does not cover every cities of a particular state/region of a country so as to ensure we do not lose customers when customers abandon their carts because of this issue.

Yaros

Staff member
I got your idea, thank you! The point is that now the fields and the lists of cities are the same like on AliExpress. Before we were getting complaints that users needed to enter cities manually and as a result the order autofilling option did not work smoothly, because the system could not find the match in cities with AliExpress.

Victoria Kudryashova

Administrator
Hi,

there are two buttons when a customer after selecting a product wants to make payment for the product, "ADD TO CART" and "CHECK OUT WITH PAYPAL" buttons. When the customer clicks "ADD TO CART" button, and then proceeds to click "PROCEED TO CHECKOUT BUTTON", it will bring to a page where it shows 'CART' and below it is a 'PLEASE FILL IN YOUR SHIPPING DETAIL' form.

In this form, a customer is required to fill in his address, country, city, state/region and postal code and the city field is a drop-down menu showing a list of predetermined name of cities of a particular country and state/region selected by the customer. The issue arises when a customer after selecting his country and state/region in the drop-down list of the country and state/region fields, is required to select a drop-down list of city on the "CITY" field which he wants his product to be shipped to as part of his postal address. The drop-down predetermined list of city name on the "CITY" field is not exhaustive. It does not cover all the cities of a particular country. For example, Roxburgh Park, Broadmeadows and Wallan are cities in the state of Victoria of Australia. But Roxburgh Park, Broadmeadows and Wallan and many other cities in Victoria are not listed out in the drop-down predetermined list of "CITY" field. This will create problem with customers in wanting their products purchased to be shipped to their address if their cities are not listed in the predetermined drop-down list. And this will definitely lead to customers abandoning their carts and not making purchase at all because of this issue.

This issue does not arise when a customer clicks "CHECK OUT WITH PAYPAL" button as the city field under the BILLING ADDRESS form is a fill-up by customer himself and not a drop-down predetermined list of city.

Could ALIDROPSHIP IT department kindly change the "CITY" field under "ADD TO CART" and "PROCEED TO CHECKOUT BUTTON" as a free typing fill-up by customer himself instead of programming it as a predetermined drop-down list of city which actually does not cover every cities of a particular state/region of a country so as to ensure we do not lose customers when customers abandon their carts because of this issue.
View attachment 1603

For Australia state Victoria you need to type city name.

Last edited:

Noname

Hi Victoria

when the Australian state Victoria is selected, the city field automatically becomes a drop-down list showing predetermined cities which does not cover many cities in the state of Victoria. The city field is not a manual field any longer once the state/region field is selected. It turns to a drop-down list. Customers who could not find their cities in the drop-down list will naturally abandon their carts and we will lose customers.

Victoria Kudryashova

Administrator
Hi Victoria

when the Australian state Victoria is selected, the city field automatically becomes a drop-down list showing predetermined cities which does not cover many cities in the state of Victoria. The city field is not a manual field any longer once the state/region field is selected. It turns to a drop-down list. Customers who could not find their cities in the drop-down list will naturally abandon their carts and we will lose customers.

Yes, sorry - my mistake I checked wrong site. We will do field City free-typing.

Rob Blue

Has this issue been fixed yet? I tried to place an order today to an Australia address and I have the same problem, the city is not available in the drop down list so I cannot complete the order. this makes dropshipping very hard

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Has this issue been fixed yet? I tried to place an order today to an Australia address and I have the same problem, the city is not available in the drop down list so I cannot complete the order. this makes dropshipping very hard
Please note that City dropdown option is not available on the checkout page any more as this affected conversions negatively. City is the text field now, you need to type your city name manually.

Rob Blue

Please note that City dropdown option is not available on the checkout page any more as this affected conversions negatively. City is the text field now, you need to type your city name manually.

Sorry, this is not correct, the city drop down box is still on the check out page. When completing the shipping address at https://www.aliexpress.com/ I do the following:
  • select the country "Australia"
  • then type the street address,
  • then type the city name (in this example "Wetherill Park"),
  • then select the State from the drop box "New South Wales", when I select the state from the drop down box the city name "Wetherill Park" is removed and replaced with the text -please select- and red text below the box says "please enter a city" and
  • when I try to type in the city name again a drop down list appears and the city "Wetherill Park" is not listed and I cannot manually enter the city name.

I have attached screen shots so you can clearly see there is indeed a drop down list for the city. The example in the screen shot is a valid address in Australia (it is the Post Office that I work at). I have tried the same with my home address and experience the exact same issue. I have tried this in both Chrome and Safari and get the exact same result.

Please try it yourself, try to complete the shipping address:

Country = Australia
Street Address = 379 Victoria St
City = Wetherill Park
State = NSW

Attachments

• screen shot.pdf
    146.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Sorry, this is not correct, the city drop down box is still on the check out page. When completing the shipping address at https://www.aliexpress.com/ I do the following:
  • select the country "Australia"
  • then type the street address,
  • then type the city name (in this example "Wetherill Park"),
  • then select the State from the drop box "New South Wales", when I select the state from the drop down box the city name "Wetherill Park" is removed and replaced with the text -please select- and red text below the box says "please enter a city" and
  • when I try to type in the city name again a drop down list appears and the city "Wetherill Park" is not listed and I cannot manually enter the city name.

I have attached screen shots so you can clearly see there is indeed a drop down list for the city. The example in the screen shot is a valid address in Australia (it is the Post Office that I work at). I have tried the same with my home address and experience the exact same issue. I have tried this in both Chrome and Safari and get the exact same result.

Please try it yourself, try to complete the shipping address:

Country = Australia
Street Address = 379 Victoria St
City = Wetherill Park
State = NSW
It looks like you have confused AliDropship checkout (screenshot 1) with AliExpress checkout (screenshot 2). Indeed, City dropdown menu is available on AliExpress, but it is not integrated in AliDropship plugin. Your customers need to add their city manually on your website. If your client lives in a city which is not listed on AliExpress (like yours), you can just put Other and add a comment for your seller when placing your orders to AliExpress.

Attachments

• 1- screenshot.jpg
    1- screenshot.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2-screenshot.jpg
    2-screenshot.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 7

Rob Blue

It looks like you have confused AliDropship checkout (screenshot 1) with AliExpress checkout (screenshot 2). Indeed, City dropdown menu is available on AliExpress, but it is not integrated in AliDropship plugin. Your customers need to add their city manually on your website. If your client lives in a city which is not listed on AliExpress (like yours), you can just put Other and add a comment for your seller when placing your orders to AliExpress.

I am not confused, I am not referring to the AliDropship checkout (screen shot 1) on my website. I am referring to the AliExpress checkout (screenshot 2).

The issue I am trying to highlight to you is that there are many cities in Australia that are not listed in the drop down list on the AliExpress check out (screenshot 2) which makes it very difficult to complete shipping details for customers that live in Australia. The AliExpress checkout (screenshot 2) should be changed to allow manual entry of the city please.

The solution is to allow manual input of the city name on the AliExpress checkout. It is not a realistic solution to "just put Other and add a comment for your seller when placing your orders to AliExpress." Your suggested solution could lead to incorrect addresses being added to my orders.

Who can assist me with this issue or discuss it in more detail on Skype as this needs to be resolved as many of my potential customers are located in Australia.

The solution is to allow manual input of the city name on the AliExpress checkout.

Direct Webstore

BTW. Wetherill Park is not a city. It's a suburb. If you have the postcode listed, it's not even needed. You can also choose "Other" for city and write the suburb at the end of the street address field. e.g "379 Victoria St Wetherill Park"

Simple.