Changing Variation Names

jdobbsy1987

Hi,

After importing a load of products i realised the variation names are not always meaningful for example Colour might have options such as 01,02,03 instead of Blue, Green, Red.

Is it safe to rename these after or will this affect ordering or something later?

Cheers,
Jamie

Christina

Administrator
Hi,

After importing a load of products i realised the variation names are not always meaningful for example Colour might have options such as 01,02,03 instead of Blue, Green, Red.

Is it safe to rename these after or will this affect ordering or something later?

Cheers,
Jamie

Hello, Jamie!

You can rename attributes in the Product Options after importing. If you don't delete them a product will be updated and placed properly.

Item Zone

Been playing with renaming too.
Ended up deleting a whole attribute and had to reset from the ali values and change all the names again (whoops!).

Does the slug have to stay the same too?

For example the ali attribute is "color" and I change it to "option" or "colour" ... and there are lots of variations from ali like "jiamgunshue" and "xcvvb" -and I want them to be "square" and "triangle"

Do the slug names have to stay the same or will it all connect properly when ordered?

The reason I ask is I am finding I end up with a lot of duplicate entries for the values

knob

Been playing with renaming too.
Ended up deleting a whole attribute and had to reset from the ali values and change all the names again (whoops!).

Does the slug have to stay the same too?

For example the ali attribute is "color" and I change it to "option" or "colour" ... and there are lots of variations from ali like "jiamgunshue" and "xcvvb" -and I want them to be "square" and "triangle"

Do the slug names have to stay the same or will it all connect properly when ordered?

The reason I ask is I am finding I end up with a lot of duplicate entries for the values

Same thing happened to me. If you change the name of the Attribute it will enter a duplicate when importing another product with the same slug.

I tried deleting the duplicates and it deletes all terms for all of the same slugs. Had to reset all products using the same slug.

Also can't see how to change the name of the variation without effecting the Aliexpress ordering process. Can only see can add new variation or select different existing variation.

It is ok to change the attribute term Name in Products->Attribute->Configure Terms->Name ?

This is WOO.

Last edited:

Item Zone

Same thing happened to me. If you change the name of the Attribute it will enter a duplicate when importing another product with the same slug.

I tried deleting the duplicates and it deletes all terms for all of the same slugs. Had to reset all products using the same slug.

Also can't see how to change the name of the variation without effecting the Aliexpress ordering process. Can only see can add new variation or select different existing variation.

It is ok to change the attribute term Name in Products->Attribute->Configure Terms->Name ?

This is WOO.

I have seen it written on the forum here you CAN change the name but I have not seen anything about the slug.
You still end up with lots of duplicate values for variation and attribute though.
I think you are correct that it is a Woocommerce problem, but it could be the Alidropship plugin that is creating the duplicates when importing - I am not knowledgeable enough to know.

I was just going to leave things as they are, import without editing, and just use picture options, but I recently tested going to my basket and on there it mentions the term name that you are about to buy - so it doesn't look very good at all. If people are puzzled about abandoned baskets - this could be a big reason.

fpesca

I am sorry, I am a step behind here ;-(
How can I rename the attribute name in Woocommerce (eg "color" to "type")?
and the attribute values?
Clearly without losing the connection with the original product in Aliexpress
thanks a lot... still a newbie on this topic.

You can rename an attribute after importing a product but it will screw up your store. For example, if you already have some T-shirts in store, all using the word "Size" as an attribute with values "small, med, large". Later you accidentally imported 10 products that uses the word "Kid Size" as an attribute with values "small, med, large". This will make you store look unprofessional as some listing are saying "Kid Size" and others are saying "Size". So you decide to rename "Kid Size" into "Size" under wordpress dashboard>product>attribute. This method will create two identical "Size" attribute with two distinctive slugs. So what does this mean? If your store provides a function to allow size filtering for your buyers, the filter will show, small, med, large, small, med, large. Clicking onto one of the "small" will trigger all of your original products. Clicking onto the other "small", will trigger the 10 newly imported products.

Alidropship allows us to change supplier by copy/paste new product url and reset an attribute. This will only cause problem mentioned above. Once you hit reset attribute, you cannot change the name of attribute. I hope you can change the names of attribute prior to reset.

fpesca

Raymond
thanks for the clarification I would conclude that you cannot really change the attribute names after importing the product, at most you can create duplicate attribute with the same name. I assume this is a Woocommerce native behavior that Alidropship can do little about.
Nevertheless it would be a nice feature if we could edit the attributes when resetting the product
That would mean to keep all the good work done on images, description, SEO etc... but also get a "second chance" to fix attributes the same way we are allowed to do at the edit phase before the first import.

Yaros, please let us know if this is feasible and can put in the queue for next updates.
From the user perspective would mean to be displayed the same modal box that is presented at first import (especially the section about variations and attributes.

Thanks
Francesco