Changing Default Pages' Permalink (El Greco Theme)

ThiagoN

Hi,

I'm using the El Greco theme (not Woo). After creating the default pages and menus (Customization » General), I would like to modify the default pages' permalink and customize the pages.

Example: My default "about us" page is mysite.com/about-us, and I've modified it to mysite.com/sobre-nos.

The problem is, after changing the permalink, I am not able to customize my page anymore (Customization » About Us).

Any solution? Isn't the theme 100% ready for translation?

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Hi,

I'm using the El Greco theme (not Woo). After creating the default pages and menus (Customization » General), I would like to modify the default pages' permalink and customize the pages.

Example: My default "about us" page is mysite.com/about-us, and I've modified it to mysite.com/sobre-nos.

The problem is, after changing the permalink, I am not able to customize my page anymore (Customization » About Us).

Any solution? Isn't the theme 100% ready for translation?
Hello,

Thank you for your question.
The About Us page uses a template (i.e. layout) that is linked to its slug. You can manually create a template file in your theme files but it will be overwritten by each theme update unless you store it in a child theme.

ThiagoN

Hello,

Thank you for your question.
The About Us page uses a template (i.e. layout) that is linked to its slug. You can manually create a template file in your theme files but it will be overwritten by each theme update unless you store it in a child theme.

Hi Ekaterina Sayapina,

That's not good. The theme/plugin should offer option to translate the default pages' permalink, specially for SEO purposes.

Can you point out to me where the template files are located? Or show me the documentation for this?

Thank you.

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Hi Ekaterina Sayapina,

That's not good. The theme/plugin should offer option to translate the default pages' permalink, specially for SEO purposes.

Can you point out to me where the template files are located? Or show me the documentation for this?

Thank you.
Please go to your cPanel → File Manager → public_html → wp-content → el-greco. Find the page-about-us.php file. Choose this file and click the Rename button at the top of the screen.

cPanel-File-Manager-v3 (6).png

In the popup window, edit the file name. Make sure to keep the beginning page- the same. In your case, the file will read page-sobre-nos.php
Click the rename button.

cPanel-File-Manager-v3 (7).png

Now you can change your permalink in your WP.

sobre nos.png

ThiagoN

Hi Ekaterina,

It worked. But it will be lost after updating.

Could you offer a copy of a child theme functions.php script that works with El Greco?

ThiagoN

Please go to your cPanel → File Manager → public_html → wp-content → el-greco. Find the page-about-us.php file. Choose this file and click the Rename button at the top of the screen.

View attachment 14150

In the popup window, edit the file name. Make sure to keep the beginning page- the same. In your case, the file will read page-sobre-nos.php
Click the rename button.

View attachment 14151

Now you can change your permalink in your WP.

View attachment 14152

Hi Ekaterina,

Any update?

Thank you.

ThiagoN

Why don't you just created a child theme?

Hi chris37,

I've already created a child theme, but I lose ALL theme settings and images when I activate the child theme.

I need the AliDropship developer team to provide me with a functions.php template to import all the theme settings (I am using El Greco Original, not Woo version).

I've already tried enqueuing stylesheets as explained in the WordPress Theme Handbook, but it doesn't work.

This problem has been reported by other users with no solution so far (https://forum.alidropship.com/threads/how-can-we-create-a-child-theme-for-el-greco-original-theme.16479/).

I would appreciate the help from AliDropship support team as well.

Thank you.

chris37

Hi chris37,

I've already created a child theme, but I lose ALL theme settings and images when I activate the child theme.

I need the AliDropship developer team to provide me with a functions.php template to import all the theme settings (I am using El Greco Original, not Woo version).

I've already tried enqueuing stylesheets as explained in the WordPress Theme Handbook, but it doesn't work.

This problem has been reported by other users with no solution so far (https://forum.alidropship.com/threads/how-can-we-create-a-child-theme-for-el-greco-original-theme.16479/).

Thank you.
1)you has to make a child theme from the start :)

2) I don't remember exactly the name of the plugin... but somewhere there is have a plugin child theme creator which is including all the setting importing to it.

(Make some research and find it out.)

3) even if you use the child theme coming with your theme I don't believe you gonna need more then a day to fix the theme setting again... ( give it a try , is the easiest way)

daniel-97

Hi chris37,

Thank you.
I you found the code, please share. I had to design the whole website again for my late child theme :)

ThiagoN

1)you has to make a child theme from the start :)

2) I don't remember exactly the name of the plugin... but somewhere there is have a plugin child theme creator which is including all the setting importing to it.

I know how to create a child theme. I have been working with WordPress and PHP for many years and created some child themes in my life.

I've already tried many things - creating a child theme manually and using plugins (Child Theme Configurator, Child Theme Generator), but nothing works!

3) even if you use the child theme coming with your theme I don't believe you gonna need more then a day to fix the theme setting again... ( give it a try , is the easiest way)

This is a workaround solution. It does not make sense if we always have to switch themes and configure the theme settings twice. Also, what happens if our store is live? Our customers will see all the default texts and images from the original plugin while we re-configure the theme.

Thank you for your help, but I am still waiting for a professional solution from AliDropship developers. I am confident they know how to solve this issue.

ThiagoN

I you found the code, please share. I had to design the whole website again for my late child theme :)
Sure. I say the same. If you find the code, please share it.

I am still waiting for a professional solution from AliDropship developers. I am confident they know how to solve this question.

chris37

I know how to create a child theme. I have been working with WordPress and PHP for many years and created some child themes in my life.
And you still don't know how to use the maintenance plugin for the changes take effect after you customisation?

Thank you for your help, but I am still waiting for a professional solution from AliDropship developers. I am confident they know how to solve this issue.
Yes ofcource they know ,but they work for the general public proplem.

No for they one which easy can be solve with multiple ways!!!

You just don't like to put the work down ! But I tell you a secret nobody gonna make they work for you..

Good luck and bye!!

chris37

This is a workaround solution. It does not make sense if we always have to switch themes and configure the theme settings twice
Why you allways have to switch theme? Just create a child theme before you start customize your website.

If you have experience with wordpress how you say ,you should know that.

1)install a wordpress
2)use a backup plugin
3)use a security plugin
4)create a F****** child theme
5)customize your site

With that order!!

ThiagoN

And you still don't know how to use the maintenance plugin for the changes take effect after you customisation?

I do not know everything sir. Sorry.

How about you? Do you know how to create a child theme for El Greco Original? Can you share your functions.php?

Thank you, sir.

ThiagoN

Why you allways have to switch theme? Just create a child theme before you start customize your website.

If you have experience with wordpress how you say ,you should know that.

1)install a wordpress
2)use a backup plugin
3)use a security plugin
4)create a F****** child theme
5)customize your site

With that order!!

This is a good workaround solution. Thank you, sir.

Please let me know if you find the correct solution - a functions.php file that works for El Greco Original.

All the best!