Alidropship Stock Update: Check your php settings first!

Arnaldo

Hi, all Alidropshippers around! Let me tell you a funny (not for me) story:

When participating in the Alidropship beta testing group for v.1 release, I encountered what seems an insolvable problem no one had except me.

The developers told me that the way Alidropship new version was updating products had changed, with a lot more accuracy. (I can confirm here).

Before v1. I never had this issue, now every time I launched update it was randomly freezing.

I just could never complete the update to 100%.

This was driving me nutttttttzzzzzz like crazy. I couldn't figure out where this was coming from since I hadn't changed any settings before the update.

So... I first thought the problem was coming from the plugin. I pissed off our beloved developers to death with my issue, still, it wasn't resolved after few fixes.

I exhausted support from my hosting company to death. Still didn't found the issue BUT instead, they openly admitted they bricked my i/o and CPU because of too much resource consumption. Thank you A2hosting!

So... I made up my mind and moved to VPS. Unmanaged VPS that is, because Dedicated was too costly and also I was pissed by the lack of proper support from most shared hosting companies.

So for those of you having this issue, let me tell you once and for all the fix so you can all laugh at me:

please, increase these 2 settings in your PHP configuration:

max_execution_time = 300
value max_input_time = 1000

With these settings, update took an average 2h30 for 1000 products. No errors, no freezes.

And for those not "fainted-heart" people bricked like me from their shared hosting companies because using too many images (for SEO reasons as opposed to hotlinking to Aliexpress images not uploaded on your server) or too many products (+1000), maybe you should consider VPS like me.

Disclaimer: Don't do it just because I told you so. If you are satisfied with your hosting company and have none of the problems described above, stick with it, don't fix it if it ain't broke. But if you experience these issues and are not afraid to learn a bit of Linux command line to set up and secure your server you can have an awesome configuration on steroïd.

Now, I set up a Litespeed server on a 2CPU 4Go Vultr VPS with the above php settings and everything rocks solid.

Last note for the Alidropship team: if you can improve a bit more the CPU usage to prevent hitting 90% (on 1 core, 50% on 2 CPU) when updating it could be even better!

PS: Maybe I'll do a tutorial on this unmanaged VPS thing, but having lost 2 weeks of my life instead of working on my store, I won't be for now.
If you're interested check Cyberpanel open source alternative to Cpanel and enjoy a really nice and secure Control Panel for your new VPS with Litespeed fast caching!

Or if you are too lazy and are willing to pay an additional 8$ per month to easily manage your VPS, go with Runcloud.io.

Runcloud:

Cyberpanel:

I tested both with success.

Cheers!

Last edited:

omktg

Hey @Arnaldo ,

You are not alone... this has been happening to me since July, but with the original version of the plugin.

The update always freezes at some point. And as you can see, it repeats the same product over and over again ... I could do that for hours.
Screenshot_228.png

No matter how many times i refresh the page... it is always the same.
Screenshot_229.png

Screenshot_231.png

Screenshot_232.png

It all started since they [the Alidropship Team] implemented some improvements like the "notify me" option for the updates.

[Alidropship v.1.2.6.]

I immediately posted the bug here:
https://forum.alidropship.com/threads/alidropship-plugin-ver-1-2-6-update.6763/post-38835

And i also contacted Victoria to see if she could solve the problem. I gave her access to my testing site, and she managed to complete one update... but it did not solve the problem at all.

But recently I have managed to make the update work correctly, and without freezing in the process, and without changing my PHP settings.

Now, every time i want to run a manual update:

1. I disable the auto update option.
2. I save the changes.
3. Hit the "Update Now" button.

And so far it works.
So after the manual update is complete, I enable the auto update option again.

I hope that the Alidropship team [ @Yaros @Ekaterina Sayapina ] can solve this problem as soon as possible. And that people who have not tried it yet try to do a manual update to know if they also have the same problem... Maybe some people do not realize the problem, because they never perform manual updates.

Arnaldo

Hey, @omktg thank you for your great input!

Actually, I was only using the manual update, never tested with auto-update since I have this problem.

Only playing with my PHP settings allows to do so, but like you, I wait for an update to fix this.

I talked with the dev team it is on their top priorities, so we have to be patient.

Yaros

Staff member
Hey @Arnaldo ,

You are not alone... this has been happening to me since July, but with the original version of the plugin.

The update always freezes at some point. And as you can see, it repeats the same product over and over again ... I could do that for hours.
View attachment 5583

No matter how many times i refresh the page... it is always the same.
View attachment 5584

View attachment 5586

View attachment 5587

It all started since they [the Alidropship Team] implemented some improvements like the "notify me" option for the updates.

[Alidropship v.1.2.6.]

I immediately posted the bug here:
https://forum.alidropship.com/threads/alidropship-plugin-ver-1-2-6-update.6763/post-38835

And i also contacted Victoria to see if she could solve the problem. I gave her access to my testing site, and she managed to complete one update... but it did not solve the problem at all.

But recently I have managed to make the update work correctly, and without freezing in the process, and without changing my PHP settings.

Now, every time i want to run a manual update:

1. I disable the auto update option.
2. I save the changes.
3. Hit the "Update Now" button.

And so far it works.
So after the manual update is complete, I enable the auto update option again.

I hope that the Alidropship team [ @Yaros @Ekaterina Sayapina ] can solve this problem as soon as possible. And that people who have not tried it yet try to do a manual update to know if they also have the same problem... Maybe some people do not realize the problem, because they never perform manual updates.
Have tested on both versions, never got such issue. We will check if anyone else has the same problem.

Arnaldo

Edit: some users also reported a bug caused by Cerber security plugin.

After deactivating Cerber my update issue was gone.

It was hard to find the cause because these issues were random. Even after tuning my host settings as explained here, I’ve still encountered this update freeze again.

Now without Cerber:

- no more product import lag
- no more update lag

So in the meantime don’t use cerber.

Cheers.