Hosting

bacil

This is just the generic question.

I am reading all the comments and posts here, and it occurred to me that I am probably only one / or defo one of the small group who hosts their websites on my own. So to share my experience I decided on this write-up.

First of all, I host my websites on AWS, which provides me with the ability to build and test website ideas quite fast at NO hosting cost. As every domain (email) I can register for free tier in AWS and have one year of the cloud for free. So my usual setup is

1. EC2 with Apache, PHP fpm
2. RDS for database
3. S3 or Elastic storage for images
4. CloudFront for the CDN services

This setup has several benefits, one of them is that it's FREE and when the site starts making money it can easily be upgraded when/if needed. Also, it being coud served I have the ability to failover somewhere else. there are no network outages or hardware failures and apart from me totally screwing up config I am running 99.999% uptime on all my aws hosted sites.

So what do you think, is that good or would you still stick to old hosting model?

Direct Webstore

I think I'd rather stick to the "old" model for a moderate yearly amount and devote 100% of my time and energy to my stores, their promotions and their blogs. I went through the self hosting phase years ago but the novelty wore off. The small amount of money saved is really not worth the extra stress, worry and maintenance.

That's just my personal opinion and it's not debatable. Just answering your question ...
So what do you think

:)

bacil

I think I'd rather stick to the "old" model for a moderate yearly amount and devote 100% of my time and energy to my stores, their promotions and their blogs. I went through the self hosting phase years ago but the novelty wore off. The small amount of money saved is really not worth the extra stress, worry and maintenance.

That's just my personal opinion and it's not debatable. Just answering your question ...

:)

Makes sense, the way you put it, trouble comes when your hosting provider goes down, i used to be with OVH and my uptime was at 97% at best.

Also, I host anther 72 websites for customers of my other projects so the additional sites are just one click deployment now for me ;-) (almost)

Direct Webstore

trouble comes when your hosting provider goes down
In all the years I've used hosting that has never been a problem. Except for the rare occasions when they are down for a few minutes. But that's case with all hosting, your own or others. It's not really a valid concern or a valid reason to use your own hosting.

bacil

In all the years I've used hosting that has never been a problem. Except for the rare occasions when they are down for a few minutes. But that's case with all hosting, your own or others. It's not really a valid concern or a valid reason to use your own hosting.

That's the benefit of AWS you don't host anything, you just use amazon infrastructure, designed to be fault-tolerant, scalable and you don't have to spend time or resources on any of the hosting services.

That's one benefit I see the other one is, the delivery speed. With CDN (granted you can purchase that separately). for example, I have a website for US customers so I put the engine into the US region with edge delivery servers in the US and cat down on load time.

Just out of curriosity do you use CDN on your sites?

Direct Webstore

I'm really not interested in "being sold" on this idea. Like I said ...

Just out of curriosity do you use CDN on your sites?
I only host the product's featured image on my sites and the rest stay on Aliexpress which uses it's own CDN ( https://ae01.alicdn.com ) so it's pointless using one myself. My sites load between 2-4 seconds and that's fine.

IsaacHunter

Hey there, i don’t know if i got you right but do you host websites ? i’m working on my own forum for food discussion, it’s still on designing stage i was working on the design by myself but my friend told me that there are many web design companies and designers who sells per-designed web pages or custom orders, he sent me a list of the companies with their design examples and prices and to be honest some companies are really cheap with nice designs and services which made me confused so i had to read some reviews and the best one is M2media for both hosting and designing. but i didn't make my decision about it yet, so can you give me more information about your services ?

Last edited:

daniel-97

May I know what is this 'free or only for the first month'?
Here it is, I just read this thread
First of all, I host my websites on AWS, which provides me with the ability to build and test website ideas quite fast at NO hosting cost. As every domain (email) I can register for free tier in AWS and have one year of the cloud for free. So my usual setup is