Multisite with different currency

I want to ask if Alidropship woocommerce support multisite. These sites will target different countries and have different currencies. The url structure will look like this:

www.xxx.com (USA)
www.xxxx.com/au/ (Australia)
www.xxx.com/ca/ (Canada)

I will be selling the exact same products on all sites. Each site will have its own currency so customers from Australia can pay using AUD... etc

the_lyall

I have a simpler set up - I use one site with multiple currencies and languages. I've set up about 10 sites this way, but the currency works in different ways.

I recommend Aelia Currency Switcher for WooCommerce as it's one of the only ones which will actually allow payment in the selected currency instead of changing back to the site default during checkout. I've also worked with Diego and the support is excellent. There are two options, I have used both on different sites:
  • Default to the local currency but include a select list so the user can change their currency to a different one. The customer can checkout in whatever currency they have selected.
  • Default to the local currency but force checkout currency based on invoice or delivery address (without the option for the customer to choose)
For language I use GTranslate which automatically displays the site in whatever language their browser uses, although I include the option for them to select a different language.

If you do it this way you have one site to maintain, and you can still sell in the customer's local currency and language.

I have a simpler set up - I use one site with multiple currencies and languages. I've set up about 10 sites this way, but the currency works in different ways.

I recommend Aelia Currency Switcher for WooCommerce as it's one of the only ones which will actually allow payment in the selected currency instead of changing back to the site default during checkout. I've also worked with Diego and the support is excellent. There are two options, I have used both on different sites:
  • Default to the local currency but include a select list so the user can change their currency to a different one. The customer can checkout in whatever currency they have selected.
  • Default to the local currency but force checkout currency based on invoice or delivery address (without the option for the customer to choose)
For language I use GTranslate which automatically displays the site in whatever language their browser uses, although I include the option for them to select a different language.

If you do it this way you have one site to maintain, and you can still sell in the customer's local currency and language.

I use google shopping to promote my products. I need separate feed settings and currency for each countries I target to. All these multi currency plugin that allows you to accept and display different currency is causing disapproval under merchant center. Google will still crawl your site and sees what ever default currency you have under woocommerce settings, despite you have a plugin that accepts other currency. Still stuck and cannot move on....

chris37

I use google shopping to promote my products. I need separate feed settings and currency for each countries I target to. All these multi currency plugin that allows you to accept and display different currency is causing disapproval under merchant center. Google will still crawl your site and sees what ever default currency you have under woocommerce settings, despite you have a plugin that accepts other currency. Still stuck and cannot move on....

Ok let make it easy and expensive for you ;)
1) Clone your site us many currency you have.
2) Each clone set up default the currency you need
3) Buy us many alidropship licences for each one of you clone.
4)Set different google shopping account for each one of your clone site.
5)Have a lot of patience because requiring a lot of work.

:cool: Bonus 6 step: Do nothing of the above ,use your original currency in Google shopping , nobody really care!

Last edited:

the_lyall

That's not true, as my sites are indexed with multiple currencies as well as multiple languages. And if you really wanted to go that route, you can specify the currency in the query string of the page (if you have that option enabled). In Google Merchant Centre you can create feeds using any of the currencies, not just your store default, as I have done (I also used Google Shopping ads).

But for Google Shopping/Merchant Feeds on all but one of my sites I just use USD regardless of what the store default currency is, as nobody seems to care (as Chrisschris said).

I also use the same language structure as you, with each language hosted in a separate folder (not subdomain) using the GTranslate.io plugin.

SauDev

with each language hosted in a separate folder (not subdomain) using the GTranslate.io plugin

Hello, just carious if I used a different plugin for translation and I wanted to change it to the way you mentioned I assume the parts I translated will be lost and I have to do it all over again right?

the_lyall

Hello, just carious if I used a different plugin for translation and I wanted to change it to the way you mentioned I assume the parts I translated will be lost and I have to do it all over again right?

It depends on which plugin you use. If you use one of the GTranslate plugins like I do, then you don't need to do anything as the translations aren't held within your website. Although you can add your own manual translations in your GTranslate account (on their website) if you find some things aren't quite right, and you can exclude certain phrases (brand names, trademarks etc.) from being translated in there as well.

If you swap to a different translation plugin where translations are held on your site, then yes you will need to do them all again as every plugin is different and will probably store the translations in different ways/different fields.

That's not true, as my sites are indexed with multiple currencies as well as multiple languages. And if you really wanted to go that route, you can specify the currency in the query string of the page (if you have that option enabled). In Google Merchant Centre you can create feeds using any of the currencies, not just your store default, as I have done (I also used Google Shopping ads).

But for Google Shopping/Merchant Feeds on all but one of my sites I just use USD regardless of what the store default currency is, as nobody seems to care (as Chrisschris said).

I also use the same language structure as you, with each language hosted in a separate folder (not subdomain) using the GTranslate.io plugin.

I agreed to just use one default currency for all targeted countries, everything is much simpler. But the problem is, when targeting Canada, Australia, and United Kingdom, the number of impression under google shopping is significantly much lower. All these so called big countries are only getting 1% or less in impression, comparing to United States. So I figured if I localize the currency this could help improve impression rate? All of the countries I mentioned speaks English.

I am using a plugin called "Multi Currency for Woocommerce" that supports multiple currency checkout. It uses query string at the end of url to display different currencies. I tried to set up new feeds for each country and adding this query string at the end of each product url, Google still crawls my woocommerce default currency, so all products are disapproved except for United States of courses. Which plugin did you use to accept different currency at checkout without any problems with google merchant center?

nenene

IIf you use one of the GTranslate plugins like I do, .

I'm trying to gain organic traffic for foreign versions of my website indexed in google, Is there a specific setup that you recommend for using gtranslate along with a Woo Alidropship store?
I'm checking the plans on gtranslate.io.
For example would you chose a subdomain or a subfolder, would you chose some popular languages or every available?
Would google consider all these translated versions a bit spammy?

Thanks!

the_lyall

I'm trying to gain organic traffic for foreign versions of my website indexed in google, Is there a specific setup that you recommend for using gtranslate along with a Woo Alidropship store?
I'm checking the plans on gtranslate.io.
For example would you chose a subdomain or a subfolder, would you chose some popular languages or every available?
Would google consider all these translated versions a bit spammy?

Thanks!
I've had lots of success with gtranslate with the following options. Google doesn't consider it spammy at all, they are all valid pages and there's no content duplication as they're indexed in different languages.
  • Use a package which includes url translation and make sure the option is enabled in gtranslate. It's more expensive but definitely worth it.
  • Use sub folder NOT subdomain. Google treats subdomains as separate sites but sub folders all count towards a single site rank
  • Include all languages apart from right to left ones as they can mess up the site layout, and leave out any obscure languages that don't seem relevant
I list each of my sites in about 68 languages now so even 100 products means 6800 product pages in google, and the url translation appears to help with CTR. I rely on only organic traffic for my sites, and I wouldn't do it a different way.

After setting up gtranslate it will take time for all pages to be indexed in all languages. You can help speed things by viewing the site and browsing in all languages, but realistically it will take months to index the pages and in my experience up to a year to get decent organic traffic (a year of doing nothing other than waiting). I can attach some examples showing the process of the gtranslate pages being indexed on different sites.

Screenshot_20201004-033331_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-033358_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201004-033438_Samsung Internet.jpg

the_lyall

i just install the plugin and is working fine ? i did not change or move anything in subfolder .. did i make something wrong here?
No i mean in the settings it gives you the choice between sub folder/directory for each language i.e. yourdomain.com/fr or subdomain i.e. fr.yourdomain.com it will default to sub folder anyway as it can't use subdomains without you adding the required dns entries

chris37

No i mean in the settings it gives you the choice between sub folder/directory for each language i.e. yourdomain.com/fr or subdomain i.e. fr.yourdomain.com it will default to sub folder anyway as it can't use subdomains without you adding the required dns entries
Thank for clear this up. ;)

nenene

No problem. Just make sure url translation is enabled in gtranslate settings in your account as even when it's included in the package it's disabled by default!
Cool! Did you find yourself modifying the auto-translated titles/urls for some languages or was it good enough?

PS: A photo with recommended settings/languages would be super helpful as well :)

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited: