Multisite with different currency

the_lyall

Cool! Did you find yourself modifying the auto-translated titles/urls for some languages or was it good enough?

PS: A photo with recommended settings/languages would be super helpful as well :)

View attachment 13070
I've not had any problems with the translations so far but I do add exclusions in gtranslate account for brand names/company names in case they're translated literally. You can add your own translations or prevent specific elements from being translated in the gtranslate account or if you add CSS class 'notranslate' then it won't be translated.

I've got a good proportion of sales from Greek pages so it can't be that bad ;)

the_lyall

Cool! Did you find yourself modifying the auto-translated titles/urls for some languages or was it good enough?

PS: A photo with recommended settings/languages would be super helpful as well :)

View attachment 13070
I would tick the 'add hreflang tags' option as well as auto switch to browser language, everything else looks good as is.

Note that the free translations aren't as good as the paid plans as the free ones just use Google translate.

nenene

I would tick the 'add hreflang tags' option as well as auto switch to browser language, everything else looks good as is.

Note that the free translations aren't as good as the paid plans as the free ones just use Google translate.

Thanks! I'm running on the 15 days trial for the Business Plan, with the url translation.
One first issue I came across, on a product with a custom photo upload field, on the translated page, it doesn't work and keeps asking to upload the file before proceeding to the cart.

@chris37 I'm Greek too! :D The translation doesn't seem that good indeed lol.

the_lyall

Thanks! I'm running on the 15 days trial for the Business Plan, with the url translation.
One first issue I came across, on a product with a custom photo upload field, on the translated page, it doesn't work and keeps asking to upload the file before proceeding to the cart.

Probably something being translated (field name for example) stopping it from working. If you want to message me the page link I'll take a look later to see what I can figure out.

chris37

Ολοι οι καλοι χωράμε εδώ :)

chris37

@
Probably something being translated (field name for example) stopping it from working. If you want to message me the page link I'll take a look later to see what I can figure out.
@the_lyall if you know why the translate in greek language is really heavy the website down?
Same happen and with the Russian translate....
Is look like the speed is not effect only when I use Latin base alphabet.

the_lyall

@

@the_lyall if you know why the translate in greek language is really heavy the website down?
Same happen and with the Russian translate....
Is look like the speed is not effect only when I use Latin base alphabet.
No I don't know sorry, but I would think it would speed up once the pages are cached same with English versions. Disable analytics in gtranslate though if you don't need it - it loads external scripts from yandex which can be slow (for all languages not specific for those ones).

nenene

Thanks! Would another option like WPML with one time payment instead of monthly work the same way?
I noticed google hasn't crawled my translated pages and the sitemap.xml (created by the SEO network plugin) does not include them, have you manually added them in the .htaccess?

the_lyall

Thanks! Would another option like WPML with one time payment instead of monthly work the same way?
I noticed google hasn't crawled my translated pages and the sitemap.xml (created by the SEO network plugin) does not include them, have you manually added them in the .htaccess?
I use a sitemap plugin and add each homepage url as an external URL, the rest get crawled from that. For example yourdomain.com/de/ I think it will take longer if they're not included in the sitemap.

It's a combination of gtranslate and google which will both need to crawl your site. I can see in cpanel that gtranslate user agent has been visiting pages on my site for a couple of hours every afternoon, and then periodically those crawled pages will get crawled and indexed by google. At least that's how it seems to be working.

I've not tried wpml so can't comment on that.