My Second Attempt... My New Journey

Tablazines

I decided that I'm going to start sharing my journey...

I launched my first store... a woman's clothing shop... around this time last year...
I choose that niche because I know women spend a lot of clothes, shoes, etc. My girlfriend orders a lot of stuff online so I thought that would be a great place to start.

Initial mistakes upon launching THAT store...

1. I should have asked my girlfriend to help me pick products as she'd know what women like better than I would.
2. Trying to be trendy, I choose a name that was a slang term used in fashion and urban speak but contained the word "bitch". This held me back the most as my apps kept getting rejected and advertising wasn't easy as well.
3. I initially added about 500 products straight from Aliexpress with no cleaning up. It was only after reading post on the forum did I realize that I had to clean the listings up and I had to go back and clean up the products. It took me 3 months to do this, well after my promotion efforts had already started.

I did manage to sell about 19 pair of sunglasses. All of these sales came through Pinterest btw so don't neglect them when doing your promotion. Especially if it's products geared to women. For those of you looking for a good niche... look into setting up a store that sells sunglasses. There's some money to be made there even though they're low end products.

I was one of the early beta-testers of the Kingpin's product.. really cool. I thank him for letting me be a part of that

Not really knowing the market and not having the passion to do this... I closed the store...

I've recently launched my second store, a lot smarter and a lot wiser. I've picked a niche that i'm both passionate about and that I happen to know a lot about.

some of the things I've done is...

1. on this new site I've started a blog. See Facebook groups might not want you advertising products directly in their groups... but most will allow you to post articles that pertain to the content of group. Posting blog articles will get them to your site where you now can sell them whatever you want. I also run Google ads on the articles. I'm one that believes that ads shouldn't be on an ecommerce site due to the fact that they can cause potential customers to leave your site but I've added them ONLY in the blog articles. I've made about $150 per month for the past two months off the ads alone. I have the privilege of being in a market where people actually want to read these articles.

2. I've just started doing my own video content as of yesterday. Don't ignore Facebook video as opposed to Youtube. On Facebook... it's king. I've already garnered 3.5k views on my video in about 6 hours. I've just spend $5 to boost it. I'll see where that goes.

3. I've done my first Instagram shout out last week. I'm doing another this week. While it hasn't garnered me a sale yet, it has increased my visibility and is helping to increase engagements and follows. I'm doing another with this influencer this week. Also, I'm paying attention to what he's doing on his account that's making him so popular and copying it. It seems to be working as well.

4. I've just launched my first app into the Google and Amazon app stores. Working on getting the app into the Apple app store as well.

I'm trying a few other things as well but already it looks as if this is going to be a more successful venture than my last... I'm building an audience and traffic in order to build sales...

Last edited:

ZAPPY

Tablazines said:
on this new site I've started a blog. {...} Posting blog articles will get them to your site where you now can sell them whatever you want. {...}
Would also add, get email addresses so whenever you create a new blog post, you let your subscribers know with a brief followup that directs them to your latest blogpost. Email is def another traffic source for those customers not on FB everyday (if at all) and if SEO done right, your blog can get picked up organically by search engines.

Remember to optimise any images on your blog posts:
1) for those visitors who have the Pinterest extension installed in their browser. This makes it easier for them to spread the word for you.
2) your blog gets included in the web image searches. Yes I use Bing or Google image searches as an alternative search to Instagram and Pinterest and suspect many others do too.

As said, looking forward to your next update!:)

Tablazines

Would also add, get email addresses so whenever you create a new blog post, you let your subscribers know with a brief followup that directs them to your latest blogpost. Email is def another traffic source for those customers not on FB everyday (if at all) and if SEO done right, your blog can get picked up organically by search engines.

1) for those visitors who have the Pinterest extension installed in their browser. This makes it easier for them to spread the word for you.
2) your blog gets included in the web image searches. Yes I use Bing or Google image searches as an alternative search to Instagram and Pinterest and suspect many others do too.

Great advice.... Thanks

I'll be following this thread closely as I can relate. I'm about to choose another niche as my current one doesn't have enough interest. So probably not a good niche to start with but it was one I knew at the time.

Tablazines

Got my first sale with my new store today. $30 profit on this one sale. That was a nice surprise to see.

1. I'm beginning to generate a lot of original video content to garner eyeballs. Honestly I'm preferring Facebook video embeds over Youtube ones because Youtube keeps flagging and taking down my videos since I'm utilizing movie clips.

2. My blog has become a popular place on my site with people coming to my site just to read it. I'm kind of making myself an authority in my chosen niche. That's the main reason you should choose something you're passionate about because it's so much easier to generate that interest when you're excited as well. My most read blog post has over 2500 views. I try to post every 2 days and promote the articles in the various Facebook groups I belong too.

3. I haven't done anymore Instagram shouts yet.. but I've been boosting various Facebook posts only spending $5 per week. My first sale came from one of these boost.

4. I'm also thinking about launching a digital magazine on my niche to drive even more traffic to my store. I've tons of experience in this area and how I would implement this magazine would be different than what you normally see.

5. I also have an Android app for my store available in the Amazon and Google play stores. I'll do an iOS one soon. I haven't really promoted the app yet.. but I plan on creating a post and boosting that as well.

6. Music ties in very heavily to my niche as well. I run an Indie label which has landed some music placements on TV... I'm going to leverage that by offering some free music based on the niche for those who sign up with their email address.

Cookie

Any plugin to recommend for SEO friendly images ? Specifically, for image alternaive tagging ? I just installed the one below but not sure how to check if it's working. I am on original so I should add WP plugins right ? not woocommerce ones ?

Sorry am a newbie so pardon me if my questions sound silly. I am looking for a free tool to add alternative text to my site's images automatically instead of me going to my media library and doing it manually 1 by 1 and screaming in pain.

I agree this is for google images ranking so it appears high on ranking as spiders can't read images so the alternative image text is useful for the spiders to crawl and read.

Auto Image Alt Attributehttps://wordpress.org/plugins/auto-image-alt/

Thanks for sharing @Tablazines I'm just pulling my hair put setting up my store now. Other than editing product descriptions and being passionate about your topic, what would you say are the lessons learnt? If I can avoid some drama (other than the tech issues that go with this), all the better.

JasonP

@Tablazines Good sharing and good spirit!

Most people will give up after their failed first attempt and will say this can never work. The truth is this can and will work if you learn from it and be creative.

Maybe it's kind of obvious but many people started their store (including myself) without thinking of the customer first. We have to always look at our store and products from the perspective of the customer. If you were the customer, you got to ask yourself honestly what makes you want to browse and buy stuff from your store? Something really special? Value for money? Not available elsewhere? Tugs at my heart string?....You get what I mean.

Last edited:

Rumegado

Totally agree with this one: "For those of you looking for a good niche... look into setting up a store that sells sunglasses. There's some money to be made there even though they're low end products." This is really a good start up. A sunglass line is usually a luxury line of eyewear for upper-crust buyers. Sunglasses generated close to $3.6 billion in revenue in 2016, making this an attractive career for many. The owner is generally responsible for designing and marketing their sunglasses on their own. They may either produce the sunglasses on their own, or work with a manufacturer to complete the job. Sunglasses may be sold either online or in a brick-and-mortar store. Owners will also usually work with distributors to have their goods sold in other retail stores. My friend opened his own shop offline and now also online layoners.com and he says he is making good money out of it.

Last edited:

Direct Webstore

Totally agree with this one: "For those of you looking for a good niche... look into setting up a store that sells sunglasses. There's some money to be made there even though they're low end products."
Almost as "good" as selling phone covers. (Done to death)

But on the bright side, as long as people continue to set up these unimaginative niche stores with products easily obtained at a store down the road, there is less competition in general for people with stores based on more "unique" niches.

be creative.
In other words, give phone covers and sunglasses a miss. lol

Last edited:

Mar

Totally agree with this one: "For those of you looking for a good niche... look into setting up a store that sells sunglasses. There's some money to be made there even though they're low end products."
Can't understand what so special in sunglasses.

Direct Webstore

I'm beginning to generate a lot of original video content to garner eyeballs.
Well done. I've been making videos for products for ages and they definitely work.
I'm preferring Facebook video embeds over Youtube
I use both. So should you.
Youtube keeps flagging and taking down my videos since I'm utilizing movie clips.
Well stop violating the rules and using copyrighted material. Simple as that. There's HEAPS of non copyrighted material out there for use. No excuse for ignoring a great platform like Youtube.