What will you do in this case.

Direct Webstore

so it is kind of a hit and miss
It's not hit and miss if you clearly state your Terms and conditions and require the customer to agree with them. It's a legally binding agreement. Paypal HAS to concede to it.

Your first example proves this. Even though the conditions were in "fine print". I've put mine right at the top of the T&C page and highlighted it in RED so there can be no question of me "hiding it"

Trust me ... I'm a Libran and we're all natural born lawyers ... lol ;)

The second example IS eligible for a refund because it "Was not as described". A valid reason for a refund. It's also a valid reason for a refund under Aliexpress's "Customer Protection".

I just did a search in the plugins area and found too many, and none actually say Fraud Check
When he said "Wordpress" he means "Woocommerce". There is a Woocommerce Anti Fraud plugin.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Woo...Anti+Fraud&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=rcs

;)

Direct Webstore

I just did a Google search on "if somone buys something from me with a stolen credit card, do I have to refund the owner of the card "

https://www.google.com/search?q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=fflb&q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=rcs

Most of the results say something like this ...

If you’ve had your credit card stolen or discover that you’ve lost it, you should report it missing straight away as it could affect where you stand legally if the card is subsequently used by a thief.

Your card provider should always refund you in full for any transactions that take place after you've reported your card missing.

I doubt the buyer in the Op's case has done that. That's why I say ... "Call his bluff". If his card has not been stolen and it's a case of his wife or kids using it, it's HIS responsibility to control his wife and/or kids, not you. He hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Bottom line. Refuse the refund unless he ships the item back to an address you give him FIRST. Paypal will have to abide by this.

;)

Last edited:

daudi250

please can you tell us which one you are using. I just did a search in the plugins area and found too many, and none actually say Fraud Check lol

ahahah. Sorry its Anti-Fraud.

https://yithemes.com/themes/plugins/yith-woocommerce-anti-fraud/

I used the above one for trial, but not sure if i ever got an email of confirmation from Buyer or Paypal. will try to make a new test order via Paypal and see how it works. But for Credit Card, it shows you instantly on the level of Fraud. Still i wouldnt put much weight on this plugin.

(in terms of Paypal, yes, you can add extra security that you sent the email to the buyer confirming about the purchase was made by them or not. They never responded within 24-48 hours.( this can be another addition to your terms and conditions that you use a method for checking orders and the buyer needs to approve or verify the email. In case of no verification after 24-48 hours. the order will be sent out and no refunded will be honored.)))

https://woocommerce.com/products/woocommerce-anti-fraud/

Above is the another one from WooCommerce, not sure how it works.

Direct Webstore

ofuroinu

It is an uphill battle if it is Paypal. I have experienced it. A buyer claimed he did not order the shoes but his wife. He don't like black color, the size is not correct. You can't believe, Paypal favored the buyer. Paypal is unreasonable, they tend to favor buyers, although they refunded me when I escalated the case to Paypal management.

Agree with you paypal is more likely stand on Buyer sides. I have lose few like this cases previously

ofuroinu

for this, dont ship the items instantly. Wait for about 1-2 days before shipping and if you can mail the owner asking them if they have bought the item or not. and do install Fraud Check (if you are on WordPress). Dont forget to make a good return policy or refund policy. Even if some one asks for a refund, you can always ask them to read your policy that they agreed to.

And always ask for a POD (Proof of delivery) from the courier company.

Now I wait 2 Days before ship the order out. But I never ask the buyer if you have placed the order because most the time they wont reply.

ofuroinu

That's right ... but more importantly, refer him to the Terms of Service and make sure they have to tick the box before proceeding with the purchase.

I have this in my refunds and returns page AND the Terms of Service

But now I'm going to add this ...

I suggest you add it now.

If they tick the box agreeing to the Terms of Service, and you show that page to Paypal ... they can't get the money.

:)

This sounds good . I will have to add to my other store as well. But how to add the tick part before they complete checkout ?

ofuroinu

Not true. If a customer agrees with your terms by ticking that box, it's a legal agreement and Paypal and Stripe have to abide it by just as much as your customer does.

I actually remember reading about this a couple of years ago, but completely forgot about it.

Thank God for this thread to remind to to update my Terms of Service! ;)

You owe me bro :p

Direct Webstore

Yeah. What theme do you have? In Flatsome it's already there. Appearance>Shop (Woocommerce)>checkout
You can even edit the text near it too. I'm going to do that now. I forgot about that. Maybe just a short version of what I wrote above. There would be no way Paypal could favour the customer then. It would be right in front of their face, and they would tick the box and agree with it. Legally tight as a drum!

tc.jpg

ofuroinu

I just did a Google search on "if somone buys something from me with a stolen credit card, do I have to refund the owner of the card "

https://www.google.com/search?q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=fflb&q=if+somone+buys+something+from+me+with+a+stolen+credit+card,+do+I+have+to+refund+the+owner+of+the+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&channel=rcs

Most of the results say something like this ...

I doubt the buyer in the Op's case has done that. That's why I say ... "Call his bluff". If his card has not been stolen and it's a case of his wife or kids using it, it's HIS responsibility to control his wife and/or kids, not you. He hasn't got a leg to stand on.

Bottom line. Refuse the refund unless he ships the item back to an address you give him FIRST. Paypal will have to abide by this.

;)

He disputed to Paypal finally . Before that I have reported to Paypal and they told me wait him to dispute and provide shipment proof. I have emailed them related documents already and called them today.

ofuroinu

ahahah. Sorry its Anti-Fraud.

https://yithemes.com/themes/plugins/yith-woocommerce-anti-fraud/

I used the above one for trial, but not sure if i ever got an email of confirmation from Buyer or Paypal. will try to make a new test order via Paypal and see how it works. But for Credit Card, it shows you instantly on the level of Fraud. Still i wouldnt put much weight on this plugin.

(in terms of Paypal, yes, you can add extra security that you sent the email to the buyer confirming about the purchase was made by them or not. They never responded within 24-48 hours.( this can be another addition to your terms and conditions that you use a method for checking orders and the buyer needs to approve or verify the email. In case of no verification after 24-48 hours. the order will be sent out and no refunded will be honored.)))

You mean we can set this up in paypal account for all incoming payments?

Direct Webstore

He disputed to Paypal finally . Before that I have reported to Paypal and they told me wait him to dispute and provide shipment proof. I have emailed them related documents already and called them today.
I have a feeling you will win this one. If he claims someone used his card without his permission, that's his problem. Not yours. And if he claims it was stolen, he has to notify the bank immediately. I doubt very much he has done that. Any purchases made BEFORE reporting it to the bank are his responsibility.

daudi250

You mean we can set this up in paypal account for all incoming payments?

you can set this up in your woocommerce store and before you can process, it will show the score of the order. There was one more service i posted. You can use that as well.

The payment will come through eventually. If they dont respond that their fault. not yours. you can always say that you asked them or sent them an email.

Give it try and see how you go.

Direct Webstore

When this is finally over ... let us all know what happened and who won. It's like watching a movie! :)

I'm betting you will win. He will send back the item. You will get a refund from the seller and give it to the idiot customer.

BTW, have you contacted the Aliexpress seller and let him know what's going on? And to get a return address?

ofuroinu

When this is finally over ... let us all know what happened and who won. It's like watching a movie! :)

I'm betting you will win. He will send back the item. You will get a refund from the seller and give it to the idiot customer.

BTW, have you contacted the Aliexpress seller and let him know what's going on? And to get a return address?

I did contacted ali vendor via wechat. Sending in to china will be trouble with customs most the time , so I let them send to my Hong kong address by USPS which is better. I can hand carry to china anytime I go or just send to new customer.