Using Aliexpress Images Danger

landed

I wanted to alert you all to a potential problem because of importing images from Aliexpress or similar websites.
I have been approached and subjected to a settlement fee for use of copyrighted images found by a certain platform.

The platform works on behalf of an end client and I suppose like a debt collector they will take half for their trouble or something like that.

The images show no copyright information over on aliexpress. How on earth you can really know about the provenance of each image is beyond me.

I also do agree in principle of copyright in some cases but feel this is not a great use of the law.
A cease and desist note would be more logical and depending on a case by case basis perhaps there may be need for compensation.

The fee being asked for is just over 1200 dollars and there are 4 images in the misuse. The images are all over ebay too so I am not alone in their misuse.

I am given 21 days to pay otherwise the threats of further legal action are mentioned.

I am asking to see if anyone else has had this issue and if they might DM me if possible here. Thank You.

landed

In a sense it is a scam. However the company issuing the threat is real and though in opinion of many across the net not ethical they don't care. Like a lot of dropshippers I suppose. We are not all the same though. I just removed the images in question and actually took down the listing. It is doing well in organic search hence why I was targeted I suppose. I think I am ready to just delete my general shop with 200 odd products this could be a common threat. Or just switch the domain. Yes I will lose all the seo.

daniel-97

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you'll find a way, I'm not throwing any suggestions as I'm not experienced in law enforcement.

If you can, you can contact a copyright attorney in your country to help if you think the product could gain you back the money

landed

I think I am after seeing if this has happened in reality others and also maybe start a discussion on protecting ourselves as it's pretty hard to know or find out the provenance of a photo.

In a way the irony is this company is dropshipping legal services and inflating the cost.

daniel-97

Yeah, when I get a bit bigger, I will take my own photos, that's for the best.

If you don't mind, can you share the company that's suing you?