Tax Calculation/Update

DustinAllan

Using Davinci 2 Woo

My store location is set to Ohio, and when I enter Ohio for the shipping state, it does not calculate or update the tax line. The tax will only calculate once/if the 'Ship to a different address" checkbox is either toggled on or off. It also calculates after the Place Order button is pressed, on the thank you page. But obviously, this is too late. The customer needs to be made aware of added tax before they're charged. The taxes are set up correctly in woocommerce, as it does calculate correctly when the calculation is triggered. But I can't rely on the customer toggling that checkbox. It seems there should be a trigger for the checkout summary to update once a shipping state is entered.

Is there a trigger in place and mine just isn't working properly? I've tried disabling all unnecessary plugins, including any that mess with cache. And the tax line on the checkout page still isn't triggered to update upon entering the state of Ohio as the shipping state.

I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anything on this. According to the support at wordpress.org, woocommerce is supposed to update the checkout details once a state is entered. So, that's why I'm wondering if there's anything in the Davinci woo theme that might be inadvertently overriding it. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dustin

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Using Davinci 2 Woo

My store location is set to Ohio, and when I enter Ohio for the shipping state, it does not calculate or update the tax line. The tax will only calculate once/if the 'Ship to a different address" checkbox is either toggled on or off. It also calculates after the Place Order button is pressed, on the thank you page. But obviously, this is too late. The customer needs to be made aware of added tax before they're charged. The taxes are set up correctly in woocommerce, as it does calculate correctly when the calculation is triggered. But I can't rely on the customer toggling that checkbox. It seems there should be a trigger for the checkout summary to update once a shipping state is entered.

Is there a trigger in place and mine just isn't working properly? I've tried disabling all unnecessary plugins, including any that mess with cache. And the tax line on the checkout page still isn't triggered to update upon entering the state of Ohio as the shipping state.

I searched the forum and wasn't able to find anything on this. According to the support at wordpress.org, woocommerce is supposed to update the checkout details once a state is entered. So, that's why I'm wondering if there's anything in the Davinci woo theme that might be inadvertently overriding it. Any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dustin
Hello Dustin,
This is functionality of WooCommerce, and the DaVinci theme doesn't affect the way taxes are applied.
You may check how 'clean' WooCommerce works by testing tax settings on the Storefront theme.

DustinAllan

Hi,
Thank you for the response. Although this isn't an issue of how the tax is applied. This is an issue of the checkout details not being triggered to refresh/update when the state code or country is changed on the checkout page. And the Davinci theme does override quite a few of the woocommerce page templates. The taxes calculate correctly when the details refresh by checking or unchecking the "'ship to a different address". But the details should also be refreshing when the state or country code changes as well. And this is what is not happening.

To troubleshoot I disabled every single plugin one by one. Testing after each one was disabled. I did this until all that was left was woocommerce and the DaVinci woo theme. And the checkout details were still not updating on a state or country change. Then I switched to the storefront theme and the checkout detail did start to update on a state or country change. As soon as I switched back to the DaVinci theme, they would not update again.

I have found a workaround by adding some code to the functions.php file, Other than this, to re-enable the checkout details refreshing, I have not altered my site outside of the controlled environment of the customizer of the Davinci theme.

All this said, I do love the Davinci theme...but I feel the steps I've taken do point to the theme as the culprit in this issue and is worth being looked into. If it was my hosting or woocommerce, I don't think the checkout details would have worked once I switched to the storefront theme. But they did start working with storefront.

Thanks!

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Hi,
Thank you for the response. Although this isn't an issue of how the tax is applied. This is an issue of the checkout details not being triggered to refresh/update when the state code or country is changed on the checkout page. And the Davinci theme does override quite a few of the woocommerce page templates. The taxes calculate correctly when the details refresh by checking or unchecking the "'ship to a different address". But the details should also be refreshing when the state or country code changes as well. And this is what is not happening.

To troubleshoot I disabled every single plugin one by one. Testing after each one was disabled. I did this until all that was left was woocommerce and the DaVinci woo theme. And the checkout details were still not updating on a state or country change. Then I switched to the storefront theme and the checkout detail did start to update on a state or country change. As soon as I switched back to the DaVinci theme, they would not update again.

I have found a workaround by adding some code to the functions.php file, Other than this, to re-enable the checkout details refreshing, I have not altered my site outside of the controlled environment of the customizer of the Davinci theme.

All this said, I do love the Davinci theme...but I feel the steps I've taken do point to the theme as the culprit in this issue and is worth being looked into. If it was my hosting or woocommerce, I don't think the checkout details would have worked once I switched to the storefront theme. But they did start working with storefront.

Thanks!
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention! You're right, tax rates won't recalculate in the DaVinci. We'll fix this bug in the near future.

DustinAllan

Hi Ekaterina

I updated. And it appears to be partially fixed. Now the Checkout Details refresh/recalculate when the "Ship to a different address" checkbox is toggled and on a Country change. Although, it does not appear to be updating on a State change still. This happens to be the most important trigger (for me at least). The only instances I need to track and collect tax are dependent on the State of the shipping address.

Thank you for following up on this. I really appreciate it!

DustinAllan

Sorry, I take that back. It does appear to be working now. Not exactly as I thought it would/should....but still effectively. I thought it was supposed to simply refresh anytime the state changed. But it appears the refresh on the state doesn't happen unless there is a zipcode entered as well...which is fine. ZipCode is a required field. So the customer wouldn't be able to proceed to place the order without both fields completed...and both fields completed equals a refreshed Checkout Details with all shipping and tax charges up to date.

Thank you!!