Left menu

mihran khan

How can i disable the left menu and keep the main menu
I want to delete this menu
Naamloos.png

And only keep using this menu
Naamloos2.png

Direct Webstore

You mean you want to keep the "main menu" on the HOME page ... but don't want the "main menu" on CATEGORY pages? Right?

You realise that they are the same menu, right?

SO you want the Main menu to ONLY "appear" on the Home page ... is that right?

If that is the case ... it would require editing core files in the theme and/or the plugin. A complicated job.

Perhaps if you stated WHY you want to do this .... (and have a big empty space on the left) ... someone could suggest an alternative solution.

Adam

If that is the case ... it would require editing core files in the theme and/or the plugin. A complicated job.

Not technically true, the menu could be hidden with CSS on the main page, and still show elsewhere. You could also create a child theme and override files that way to leave core files intact.

Adam

I am assuming he wants that gone to then extend the banner/image area the full width, whatever the reason, there are options to do it without touching the core files.

Direct Webstore

I just noticed the Michaelangelo theme hasn't got that main menu on the product page .... but unfortunately....neither has the home page. But you may want to consider it as a simpler solution.

mihran khan

I just like the left menu like the home page menu, the locations of my products are on the mane menu different than the categorie menu. and the categorie menu is very ugly.

mihran khan

Do you see the difference in the 2 menus that i mean, so the difference in the main menu on the home page, and the difference in the main menu in the product page?

Direct Webstore

Yes. I can see the difference. Looks OK to me.

If you can never find out how to hide the menu ... It will be a comfort to know that your customers won't care in the slighest about that menu.

I'd even bet money that they wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Having said that ... I still hope you manage to get it how you want it eventually.

:)

mihran khan

I dont want to hide is the left menu will be the same als the home menu, the list in the home menu is on different places as the menu in the left. That is my problem.

Direct Webstore

I dont want to hide is the left menu will be the same als the home menu, the list in the home menu is on different places as the menu in the left. That is my problem.

When you said...

"How can i disable the left menu and keep the main menu I want to delete this menu"

I thought you wanted to remove the entire menu.

So ... you want the main menu on the category pages to look the same as the main menu on the home page ... right? That is ... you don't want the Sub Categories. Only want the "Main Categories, right?

Am I understanding correctly?

If yes....

Well thats easier ... I will try and write some CSS for that tomorrow.

Direct Webstore

Can't do it. The "Main Category" and "Sub Category" are covered by the same "class". Anything I want to do to the Sub Category menu item will affect the Main Category item too.

e.g

.left-sidebar ul a {
display:none;
}

This will make BOTH the Main Category items and the Sub category items disappear. The Sub Category menu item will have to have a separate class assigned to it by modifying the core theme files. Too much hassle.

Also ... it just occurred to me. If the customer can't see the Sub Category in the menu, they won't be able to navigate to that Sub Category. If they can't do that, they won't see the products in that sub category. If they can't see the products ... they won't buy them.

It's really not a good idea in my opinion.

So I give up. Spent too much time on a bad idea already ... LOL :)

Direct Webstore

.left-sidebar {display: none;}

As stated already ... That's not what he wants.

He WANTS the left sidebar there, with the Main Menu .... he just does not want the SUB Categories displayed.

But as that is a stupid idea making navigation difficult for his customers ... I think he has given up on it. :)

Ivan

#category-list.custom_close .current-cat-parent .children, #category-list.custom_close .current-cat .children {
display: none;
}

Maybe something like this?

Direct Webstore

I myself am not interested ... as it's a stupid idea. I want my customers to SEE the sub categories so they can navigate to them and BUY stuff. LOL.

But maybe the OP is still interested ... who knows? :)

Direct Webstore

I myself am not interested ... as it's a stupid idea. I want my customers to SEE the sub categories so they can navigate to them and BUY stuff. LOL.

But maybe the OP is still interested ... who knows? :)

Unless you're running a "General Store" with everything in the universe for sale ... I don't see why sub categories would even be necessary in a niche store. 10 top level categories are heaps. Why complicate things? Keep navigation for your customers as simple and uncomplicated as possible is my philosophy. :)