Inquiry on Child Theme & Plugin/Theme Updates

Liang

Hi All,

Since the plugin and the themes will updates as time goes by, we need to keep update the latest version of the plugin and themes.

In this case, if we make certain modification on the themes, and we get updated from the latest version, our modified themes will be gone, right?

With that, shall we use child theme to copy our modified theme and use it for our webstore? If so, anyways to create child theme since AliDropship Plugin doesn't allow to install our Wordpress Plugins for it...

Any suggestions?

artmelkon

I have contacted them and they told me that I can create a child theme, I was happening to me too. But seems to me that it's more complicated then I thought. I am still working on it. Once I get it done, I will keep you posted

Real Residual

You can use a free plugin to create a child theme and link it with your parent theme.
I use Orbisius, search for that child theme creator and it should be easy to find. It's free, by the way.
Once you make a child theme, you have to setup Customization all over again, but it's worth it.
Then, whatever files you change, make sure it matches the file in the parent theme. Because if there are 2 identical file names, it will always use the child. So you make changes in the child.

Child_theme will only have a few files to start, like header, footer, functions, etc... Just copy over the file from the parent that you are going to edit, make changes, save them in the child theme. That's it. Future updates should not affect your changes.

artmelkon

You can use a free plugin to create a child theme and link it with your parent theme.
I use Orbisius, search for that child theme creator and it should be easy to find. It's free, by the way.
Once you make a child theme, you have to setup Customization all over again, but it's worth it.
Then, whatever files you change, make sure it matches the file in the parent theme. Because if there are 2 identical file names, it will always use the child. So you make changes in the child.

Child_theme will only have a few files to start, like header, footer, functions, etc... Just copy over the file from the parent that you are going to edit, make changes, save them in the child theme. That's it. Future updates should not affect your changes.
Usually creating a child theme is way much easy that people think, I have done many of my other sites manually, but on this one, my category menu disappears for some reason.
I will try the one you suggested, see what will happen. :)
thanks