Import Duties!!! A customer had to pay import duties.

anonymous1971

New to me. A customer had to pay an amount 3 times the price of the product for import duties! What is this story about?

Anyone has any clue?

maxyy89

Unfortunately, that is an issue with some countries. Some of them have very strict rules about the cutoms fee. Did you put on your site that you are not responsible for any customs duties?

anonymous1971

Unfortunately, that is an issue with some countries. Some of them have very strict rules about the cutoms fee. Did you put on your site that you are not responsible for any customs duties?

If a customer has to pay 3 times the amount of the purchase price and we communicate this on our site we are out of business in no-time.

anonymous1971

Ah...I think I know why this happened......the salesprice is above a certain amount and then customs will let you pay custom duties.......or does customs not know the salesprice?

maxyy89

Ah...I think I know why this happened......the salesprice is above a certain amount and then customs will let you pay custom duties.......or does customs not know the salesprice?
Yes, that happened. I know for my country I think that amount that is free from any customs fee is about 30$. I think that every customer need to know their own country customs fees to be able safe buy something. just my opinion

Jess

Yeah certain countries have a limit above which they will charge customs fee. And they aren't stupid, they will open the package and look for receipts and if none found they will determine the price of equivalent product and slap it on. And they don't always get it right.