Image uploading creates HUGE folder !

LightlyScorched

It seems that many duplicates of images are created, but 24 for 1 seems excessive. This shouldn't be more than 4 (for thumbnails and such). I am using a WPMU Dev plugin called Smush Pro that reduces image size. It's unlikely that you'd be able to run it on 10GB of images, though. My 100-product site ended up having over 3000 images on it and Smush took several hours to run.

Now that I have Smush installed, each individual image is smushed as it is uploaded. I hope that Alidropship answers this question as it is a serious problem.

kevgl

It seems that many duplicates of images are created, but 24 for 1 seems excessive.
This shouldn't be more than 4 (for thumbnails and such).
My 100-product site ended up having over 3000 images on it and Smush took several hours to run.

Now that I have Smush installed, each individual image is smushed as it is uploaded. I hope that Alidropship answers this question as it is a serious problem.

A serious problem? Alidropship plugin is not going to fix this, it is the image resizer that is doing this, so there is nothing to fix, LOL.... I hope your joking! You say it is excessive but your calculation is even higher, 30 for 1 (3000 images : 100 products = 30).

I have tried Smush pro to, with a lot of others and did some good cleaning after using each plugin.
Every time i used a resizer, my site got fuller and fuller. So full it gave me a lot of errors.
Conclusion: i had to start over importing products again, no more image resizer ever!

Why are you all even using an image resizer? Have you thought about the size when backing up? You can be better backing up a site thats 100-200 mb than 1000-2000mb. Just my 2 cents.

How to solve "serious"problem: don't use image resizers.

Direct Webstore

SO, any comments from AliDropship side to this issue ?

It's not an issue. Pics take up space. Simple as that.

1. Install Imsanity plugin to reduce pic size
2. Don't import description pics ... only gallery pics

don't use image resizers.
Only if you're not the sharpest pencil in the box and have no common sense. Otherwise they work perfectly. I have no problems with "Imsanity"

LightlyScorched

I hope your joking! You say it is excessive but your calculation is even higher, 30 for 1 (3000 images : 100 products = 30).

It was a quick estimate of product count; there are more than 100 products. There is much more going on with said site than the products. Along the way I have started using the "edit" feature to greatly cut down on the images that I import and also the variations I don't even want. My site loads in under 2 seconds and I'm happy with the size of my site. My hosting company isn't yelling at me. why do you feel it necessary to be rude?

kevgl

It was a quick estimate of product count; there are more than 100 products. There is much more going on with said site than the products. Along the way I have started using the "edit" feature to greatly cut down on the images that I import and also the variations I don't even want. My site loads in under 2 seconds and I'm happy with the size of my site. My hosting company isn't yelling at me. why do you feel it necessary to be rude?
I am just trying to make things clear, so i can think with you guys and girls. I was confused and now got even more confused, lol :).

kevgl

It's not an issue. Pics take up space. Simple as that.

1. Install Imsanity plugin to reduce pic size
2. Don't import description pics ... only gallery pics

Only if you're not the sharpest pencil in the box and have no common sense. Otherwise they work perfectly. I have no problems with "Imsanity"
I see what you did there. I did reduce a lot of import/description pics.. will try Imsanity for the gallery pics. Will let you know how it goes.

LightlyScorched

I never import description pics either, only gallery pics. If there's a good description pic, I'll grab it manually, but I don't want to clog up my site with everything they pack into their descriptions. My first store still has to be cleaned up because I imported products by the dozen and then edited them on my store - and everything was imported including their similar products and everything from the description of each product. It's going to be a nightmare to sort that out, but it can wait for a bit and I can have a VA do it.

Direct Webstore

If there's a good description pic, I'll grab it manually

Exactly what I do. Most of the description pics are unnecessary bloat. If you check out some of the Alidropship sites (hokagestore.com etc) you will see that they don't use description pics either. They're HUGE! I always embed a video instead if I can find one.

LightlyScorched

You say it is excessive but your calculation is even higher, 30 for 1 (3000 images : 100 products = 30).

This is incorrect. There is more than one image per product in almost all cases. My site automatically creates the normal amount of duplicates (thumbnails) as expected and the file size is not an issue, especially since I only import needed images and Smush everything at the outset.

Interesting discussion guys. Another point which increases the number of images is around the 'editing' function within the plugin. This seems to create more images every time a watermark is being removed...

I am with you guys on this - ie. figuring out which images ARE being used to keep save and being able to delete the ones not being used in the individual product pages and listings...

Anyone able to figure this one out, and how to do this safely without breaking the site would win my vote.

basslion

I imported one product so far and it is 23 pictures. 5 for the top left product pic and thumbnail gallery. 8 pics for the Options thumbnails and 10 large pics for the product description.

I think its best when importing from AliExpress to import with description pictures and only add manually the ones you truly need. Customers dont like scrolling. They just want the specs and price. I find alot of Chinese description pics have poor english in them anyways.

Mar

There are reasons to have images on your own server. What if source path of the images happens to change over there in China ? Then you lose all your images and have to start your whole site over. Also your page shows the source of them and this is not a good thing to show customers.
I have more than 12,000 products and I never have that problem. The default setting is not to save images to the server. If you choose to save images to server naturally it will grow in time. If the path of images changes the auto update will take care of that and these products will not be available anymore. If you are worried about links of images to Aliexpress, there is a way to get rid of that.

Mar

How do we have all images hosted from Aliexpress?
Simply not save it in the server. The developers of the plugin know about it. They will not make that setting in default if it is not the right thing to do.