How long should someone persist on a niche?

valentina

Hello everybody! My name's Valentina and 4 months ago I opened my first dropshipping store

As I work full time, I can't take care of it as I would like. I did some advertising with Adwords and Facebook but my CPC are pretty high and conversione rate is too low or even non-existent. So far i got three sales, 2 from Adwords and 1 from organic traffic.

Just yesterday I raised a bit the prices, as before my lowest items were at USD 5.99 and I still have to add some discounts. I'm planning a restyling this week and this will include:

- adding categories like Corsets and Choker dresses (which can bring me a higher margin profit)
- adding text categories
- adding Stripe as payment
- using Social Rabbit
- do some Instagram shout out
- try again with Adwords

My main concern is whether this improvements will make any changes or not. I read about people who are making good sales in just the first month, so what am I doing wrong?

I would like to understand whether am I doing mistakes with paid ads or just the niche has a too high competition, or maybe the website cannot work with just chokers as products.

Do you think the look-and-feel of the website is wrong?
Or maybe the niche is wrong?
How long, in your opinion, should I insist or give up on a niche?

Any tips, advises and answers is very much appreciated!

Last edited:

maxyy89

Hi there! I'm not an expert but love to help.:) Your store looks great, are you using Social Rabbit? It's great for getting followers but remember to adjust settings, especially comments. I think that you need to try IG shoutouts. Credit card processor will surely boost your conversions and I noticed you don't have live chat on your site, you need to put it there, I have made a decent amount of sales trough live chat.

valentina

Hi there! I'm not an expert but love to help.:) Your store looks great, are you using Social Rabbit? It's great for getting followers but remember to adjust settings, especially comments. I think that you need to try IG shoutouts. Credit card processor will surely boost your conversions and I noticed you don't have live chat on your site, you need to put it there, I have made a decent amount of sales trough live chat.
Hi @maxyy89, many thanks for your reply! Will definitely try live chat on the website ;), together with other improvements I've listed above.
I'm planning to stick with this store and keep trying for other 2 months before moving into another niche... hope things turn out well :rolleyes:

kevgl

Hello, i think you should give it atleast a year if you can, but also i am not an expert. I just think its a huge waste of time to make a store and then delete it.

I have a store that is online since december and i got 3 sales in total (all via insta).
I try to look at this way: making, maintaining and growing a webshop takes a lot of time and effort you have to put in learning.

Then there is also the internet marketing part which is, if you don't have experience with it (like me) then you will have to find your way.
This costs time and money. And maybe spread your chances and try too investigate why you are not earning.

valentina

Hi @kevgl! Thanks for your kind answer, i'm not thinking about deleting the shop... but maybe just trying another niche. I'm now working on improving the shop with the list written above, but i have some problem with the HTTPS certificate. I agree with you that it takes time, mostly spent in learning. I'll stick with chokermania.com for some other months and, even if it won't work, i'll thinking about it as my first experiment and my personal path to learn. I would like to ask you, what was your biggest issue so far?
Thanks again and keep up the good work! ;)

kevgl

Good you are not deleting. I sent you the link to my store if you want to take a look.
My biggest issues so far are setting up DNS settings within CloudFlare, SSL/TLS problems, migration to other hosters or plans and i have to admit i can be a perfectionist so i have put way too much time in adding products with decent looking descriptions. I am now focusing on making social media active and looking for extra security measures, just because i like too.

Tokayah

hello valentina,this item is $0 and free shipping.is it some marketing or something?

free.jpg

GaneaDaniel

Hi there Valentina
I would add discounts since that badge with timer on first page which we all have state that we have up to 80% discounts :) so do not do advertising ... don`t even start it unless you have that part of the marketing up and running :) ... also ask friends what they think of your website ... if doing fb ads and when you target you should do it based on facebook pages/groups of peoples interested in the products you are selling or decided to sell then when you compiled lots of data based on this ... then focus on ads :) ... but even so keep looking at the ads stats constantly to see how the ads are doing ... same applies on google adwords(but this more on keywords wise ... though on big range is pretty much similar with fb ads to a certain point).
I would like to give you a list of videos(actually a playlist ... nothing to buy from the guy but a lot of info he shares free in a 100 videos list) ... now I do not think I am allowed share links so I will find a way(found it ... I wrote on your fb page :)) hope was not to much info and also there is nothing to buy there ... just good info ... a ton of it actually) to help you out in order for you to not think that you wasted your time and/or money on the store you have build :)
By the way these are my markup prices ... think at a certain point I might shrink them when I will start offering discounts(or increase them so that the discounts look bigger ... as the retailers in superstores do :)) ):
1. 0 < cost < $1 cost = 6.95
2. $1 < cost < $2 cost = 7.95
3. $2 < cost < $5 cost * 3.5
4. $5 < cost < $10 cost * 2.5
5. $10 < cost < $30 cost * 2
6. $30 < cost < $50 cost * 1.65
7. $50 < cost < $100 cost * 1.5
8. $100 < cost < $500 cost * 1.35
(First I will finish setting up everything ... sadly I am a perfectionist and that takes a hell lot of my time ... but this would be my ... hopefully last and best business I will ever have :) )

Take care :)

Irsan Widyawan

Dear Valentina,

I think we had same experience for this. I already run for 3 months but until now not yet have sales. But, this is my learn way to success, so i will focus on my niche right now until get high sales. After that, i can duplicate ways to another niche.

By the way, can anybody check my webbsite on thestrawhatluffy.com to check what anything i miss in my webstore ?

In beginning, i have many things that i didnt put on my web, like
1. Credit card payment. 2 checkout rejected my proposal and i am not yet have LLC to register stripe
2. Live chat. I afraid I can't fast response because if someone ask something at 1am on mytimezone, even this guy ask at 1pm on EST

Bonjour

Direct Webstore

You have to choose something people are "passionate" about. Are people passionate about chokers? I doubt it. You need something that has a "fan" base. Something that has a forum where the fans discuss things. I can't find any forums or Facebook pages where people are passionately discussing chokers.

It reminds me of the guy here who was trying to sell over priced plastic vegetable peelers. Needless to say ... it was a failure.

Now get that research hat on and get busy ... :)