.com or .net (or custom tld .store)

Enov

Hi,

I want lanch my store but I'm stuck in domain name, I don't know which one to choose and seems all .com are reserved !
I found some domains name free in .net and .store, but I don't know if they are good and if people trust them like .com

do you have any experience on that?

I want to run general store items, I didn't find a good name yet :D

Jeff Rose

I've been tempted by the .shop and .store type names, but have (and been advised to) avoid them for now because people expect .com still. I'm not sure if it's about trust (maybe), but more about memory. They'll try the .com and not think about others if all they remember is thatclothingstore.

So I've been forced to get creative with my store names and not worry about the "accuracy" of the URL. So instead of someword.com maybe try somewordshop.com or someworldexpress.com or awesomesomething.com etc.

destrovel

I've been tempted by the .shop and .store type names, but have (and been advised to) avoid them for now because people expect .com still. I'm not sure if it's about trust (maybe), but more about memory. They'll try the .com and not think about others if all they remember is thatclothingstore.

So I've been forced to get creative with my store names and not worry about the "accuracy" of the URL. So instead of someword.com maybe try somewordshop.com or someworldexpress.com or awesomesomething.com etc.

Same here. Google for "website name generator" and you'll find sites that list the available .com domains for your keyword and adjectives.

So if you type in "something" they would list 500 sites with "www.greatsomething.com" is still available!
Used it for my site as well.
Plus, try to go for plurals.
I found out the domain I wanted, lets call it something.com, was being auctioned for some $128,000.
However, somethings.com was available :)

Enov

Thanks guys, I'll go with .com as you recommanded, I have a good domain .net but most of people look and trust .com

SuperAgora

For a lot of reasons, including SEO, being brandable, marketable, recognizable and of course memorable, the best quality domains are:

1) Short
2) They have no numbers
3) They have no dashes
4) They do not infringe on trademarks
5) and of course are .COM

As strange as it might seem, even though more than 25 years have gone by, there are still plenty
of excellent domain names available having the above mentioned qualities.

One way to find a great domain name is by using a spinner application.
The following website has it built-in and it's FREE.

Here is what I use
http://www.leandomainsearch.com

Have fun
Anastasios

Last edited:

drshkng

First of all, if you do paid traffic you will push your visitors directly to your store (or product page). So, the domain of your store is simply not an issue because they don't have to find it.

If you rely on free traffic and SEO, it is advisable to have a .com. More and more successful stores have .co or .io or .net.

Here is an excellent tool that can help you find all the available .com domains for your keyword: http://www.leandomainsearch.com (up to 5000). I have found some fantastic .com domains with it. :)

Good luck!

Direct Webstore

More and more successful stores have .co or .io or .net.

Can you give a link to the source of that info?

So, the domain of your store is simply not an issue

I disagree. There's a "trust" issue. People simply trust ".com" more than others. ".store .co or .io net. .us etc have a vague smell of scam. Even if they were directed to your store by clicking an ad and were initially unaware of your domain ... once they landed there and saw the ".io" in your URL ... they may be less likely to buy anything.

Bottom line ... don't gamble. Just get a ".com" address.

Last edited: