Chisel Recommendations?

H

holleyatt

I have some Lee Valley bench chisels that are fantastic at what they do, but their flat sides limit their use a bit.

I got lucky and picked up an EA Berg Eskilstuna set that I use for dovetails.

Can you guys recommend a brand for hi quality chisels?

mozgocheck

At the end of the day it's a piece of metal with a handle. This technology was mastered in the dark ages and modern technology hasn't done anything to improve it design-wise. What matters is how sharp you can get it. The shittiest steel on earth will get sharp. What you will pay for is better quality steel which will hold an edge longer. I would spend more $ on a better quality sharpening system than on the chisels themselves. Wood option from is better. Just click here and you will know more

jarhead

At the end of the day it's a piece of metal with a handle. This technology was mastered in the dark ages and modern technology hasn't done anything to improve it design-wise. What matters is how sharp you can get it. The shittiest steel on earth will get sharp. What you will pay for is better quality steel which will hold an edge longer. I would spend more $ on a better quality sharpening system than on the chisels themselves. Wood option from is better. Just click here and you will know more
This. It's about the quality of steel and how long it will stay sharper. Cheap chisels won't stay sharp too long and are brittle.

H

holleyatt

I'm right with you on this. I have a couple of bevel edge narex and they're great but I also have a set of marples from the BORG. Get a $20 marples/narex set and you will get the experience you need from a little more sharpening than a high end chisel.

jarhead

I'm right with you on this. I have a couple of bevel edge narex and they're great but I also have a set of marples from the BORG. Get a $20 marples/narex set and you will get the experience you need from a little more sharpening than a high end chisel.
Excellent point... I also started with Marples from BORG and still have them.