Aliexpress variation for simple products

tomitech

Context
  • I have yet to make a sale, so I don't know what it looks like or what options I have when I do (specifically, for simple products that aren't simple on AX. I did see the "How to process orders on AliDropship" YT video, but it did not explain this case).
  • I noticed that for variable products I can select the exact "Aliexpress variation", but simple products don't have this option, understandably. In my case, I remove variations from customer choice (e.g., shipping warehouse or plug type).
Question
  1. If I keep it simple product, will I be asked at some point to specify AX variation? (e.g., US plug, EU plug, etc... AND/OR ships from China, US, etc...).
  2. If I make it variable product, is there a way to hide certain variation options (Ships from, Plug type, etc.) from user selection so that it looks like a simple product on the front end?
Thanks

Mar

I noticed that for variable products I can select the exact "Aliexpress variation", but simple products don't have this option, understandably. In my case, I remove variations from customer choice (e.g., shipping warehouse or plug type).
If it is simple product in AliExpress, it is simple product in your store and it has no variation, that is why it is called simple product. You are not suppose to alter this variation setting, unless you understand what you are doing. There are many threads about this subject, you need to search it.
If I keep it simple product, will I be asked at some point to specify AX variation? (e.g., US plug, EU plug, etc... AND/OR ships from China, US, etc...).
Again, if it is simple product there is no variation and when you order the product in AliExpress, you will not be asked for a variation that don't exist.
If I make it variable product, is there a way to hide certain variation options (Ships from, Plug type, etc.) from user selection so that it looks like a simple product on the front end?
You cannot make a simple product a variable product. You cannot add a variation of a product that don't exist in AliExpress.

tomitech

If it is simple product in AliExpress...
No, you misread my post. It is not a simple product on AliExpress:
...products that aren't simple on AX.
...I remove variations from customer choice...

There are variations on AliExpress, but I want to make the product a simple product on my website. So I want to select only 1 variation. Finding a product on AX that only has 1 variation and then putting it on my website as a product with multiple variations does not make any sense :p

Take this plug for example. Let's say I want to make this a simple product on my site so customers only buy the gold plug.
2020-11-08.png
  1. If I make it a simple product, will I be asked at some point to specify AX variation? (e.g., gold US, red US, gold EU, etc...)... or, on the other hand...
  2. If I keep it variable product, is there a way to hide the variable box that appears so that it looks like a simple product on the front end? (I remove all other variations so there is only 1 left, but it still shows that 1 variation, I tried).

Mar

If I make it a simple product, will I be asked at some point to specify AX variation?
I haven't tried it(the reason is I don't see any reason why remove choices for the buyer), but yes since the product has variations, think you will be asked in AliExpress. In that case you will pick the variation your customer choose.
If I keep it variable product, is there a way to hide the variable box that appears so that it looks like a simple product on the front end?
This has been discussed to death in many other threads, take time to search it. Again,
I don't see any reason why remove choices for the buyer.
No, you misread my post. It is not a simple product on AliExpress:
Yes and it is due to the way you phrased your question. If you say 'If I make it variable product', my understanding of course is you want to make the product variable. The way to phrase it to avoid confusion is 'If it is a variable product', plain and simple.

tomitech

I didn't find anything in my initial search (forum and google), that is why I posted my question. I did another search just now and found 2 topics, neither of them solved it (they have some sort of solution but it's as if the question is different because it doesn't help me in any way).

It seems like I have to use php to remove the option altogether. I can post the solution here if/when I find a solution, as I think this is a very legitimate question.

As for the reason, it's simple. Shipping from some places sometimes is not possible, or it costs an absurd amount of money and is impractical. Also, Americans don't need EU plugs. There are many more circumstances and reasons why the customer doesn't need to see the options.

Mar

As for the reason, it's simple. Shipping from some places sometimes is not possible, or it costs an absurd amount of money and is impractical. Also, Americans don't need EU plugs. There are many more circumstances and reasons why the customer doesn't need to see the options.
Personally, it is still not a valid reason. It would not do any harm if an option is available that some customer may not want but some may want. In this example, what if the customer is a European? That is my personal opinion, that is why I would not spend a minute resolving it. It is your site and it's your call after all.

tomitech

Well, not losing tons of money and pissing my customers off is a pretty damn good reason for me... thanks for the help!

I will be doing simple product because I haven't figured out a way to hide the options if it's variable (it doesn't sound like it makes sense when I say it out loud :p).

I'm going to make it a simple product. What I'll do is remove the undesired 'values' from the attributes that are related to the variations, but I'll still keep it and it's value named the same. I'm hoping there is some backend code that will send this info to AX when I order. If not, well I'm pretty much out of ideas for the time being.

Mar

Well, not losing tons of money and pissing my customers off is a pretty damn good reason for me.
Customers are not pissed to see variations to choose, in fact they would be happy to have the options. I don't know how removing options for customers to choose you is considered a good reason. But again, you have the freedom, it's your site.
I'm hoping there is some backend code that will send this info to AX when I order
I don't think there is such a code.

tomitech

Customers are not pissed to see variations to choose, in fact they would be happy to have the options. I don't know how removing options for customers to choose you is considered a good reason. But again, you have the freedom, it's your site.

Yea you're right, I'm sure the customer will LOVE it.
wat.png