url name completely different from product sold

orimond

Hi everyone,

is it necessary or important that our url or website address that corresponds to the product that we sell?

For example, I'm selling watches, and my url is www.happymind.com
You can see my url has nothing to do with watches.

Will this lead to the success of my store?

Thanks for your feedback !
Des

Mar

Hi everyone,

is it necessary or important that our url or website address that corresponds to the product that we sell?

For example, I'm selling watches, and my url is www.happymind.com
You can see my url has nothing to do with watches.

Will this lead to the success of my store?

Thanks for your feedback !
Des
Your URL don't need to mention the product you sell, otherwise your URL will be very long with all your products in it. What you need is good marketing.

tomrreid

Your URL don't need to mention the product you sell, otherwise your URL will be very long with all your products in it. What you need is good marketing.
I dont agree, it should be related to the niche for SEO purposes. If your main product was watches then somewhere in the URL it should say so. If you search online for a watch what will your search term be?

Mar

I dont agree, it should be related to the niche for SEO purposes. If your main product was watches then somewhere in the URL it should say so. If you search online for a watch what will your search term be?
AliExpress, Alibaba, Ebay, Amazon, etc. don't have product name in their URL. You may have all the name in the URL but if your marketing is poor, you will not have a good result.

tomrreid

AliExpress, Alibaba, Ebay, Amazon, etc. don't have product name in their URL. You may have all the name in the URL but if your marketing is poor, you will not have a good result.

Look at the budgets they have and the variety of products but we sell in niche products and not usually 1000s of different ones. The company names you mentioned are just that company names.
Most SEO experts will say to use a targeted word in the URL so if you only sell watches somewhere in that URL should be at least "watches" or maybe watch or whatever is available that includes the product you sell. I bet if you only sold wooden watches you would get more traffic for the search term "wooden watches" than happy minds watches. Just my opinion.

orimond

Hi Mar & Tomrreid, thanks for your replies. Let me research more yea... i think u both have a point... i have a domain name now completely unrelated to my products ;) Not sure i should change or not.. money involved again...headache

Arnaldo

Yes if you are not a site with huge traffic, you should mention your main keyword in the name of your site.

It's a known white hat tactic that works.

For instance : Type in google "wooden watches" in google and check Jord Watches. Why didn't they used jord.com ?

Many do like this in niche business.

It is only a small aspect of SEO.

orimond

Yes if you are not a site with huge traffic, you should mention your main keyword in the name of your site.

It's a known white hat tactic that works.

For instance : Type in google "wooden watches" in google and check Jord Watches. Why didn't they used jord.com ?

Many do like this in niche business.

It is only a small aspect of SEO.
Oh icic... then looks like i might have to change my domain name. It has nothing to do at all with the stuff i wanna sell.
Thanks for the clear advice :))