The benefits of using a "child theme"

sha77

I've seen that many people create a child theme of their original theme, such as Da Vinci. When there's an update to the theme (Da Vinci), they can update and apply the child theme, and retain settings and color schemes. I'm unsure though if it's worth it - which settings (aside from colors) do you lose by installing an update to a theme?

mysticriver

Any custom settings or tweaks that you've made to the code/styling (depends on where you do it) will be lost if you update the theme without using a child theme. But if you're only using the customiser and not raw code then no worries you're good. If you stick with the stock look and feel ,then you're in the clear. But the minute you start making customisations involving raw code (html, php etc), then you're better using a child theme.

sha77

Many thanks! What about using an editor like Elementor for product description edits? Can these be seen as edits to the raw code?

mysticriver

Actually no, those would be stored in the post data and not affect the theme settings. So you're good in that regard.

teras

I am having difficulty with the theme. All my configurations are not showing on the page and i am actually using the documentation. please help