Social Proofs - Do they matter?

daniel-97

Experienced dropshippers, what's your view on Social proofs (Facebook page likes, Instagram followers, ...)? Does it really matter?

Because I'm new, my page only have ~100 likes, Instagram is even worse, 21 followers lol. Many people said it doesn't matter, don't buy likes and followers, but sub-consciously I feel like it does matter.

AustinMay

I think if you are an ordinary person, 20 subscribers and 100 likes is quite normal. The average person can't have thousands of subscribers. If you have just a few photos of yourself on your page, it will be even strange if you have thousands of subscribers. But if this is a commercial page where you want to sell something, then every subscriber is a potential customer. And in this case, it is very important to have a lot of subscribers. I know how difficult could be when you're just starting to run your instagram page. It was difficult for me to find my first customers. In order for people to start buying something, I even had to buy my first subscribers from this service HelpWYZ.com. It allow me to gain the better image of my page and that's way I found my first customers.

Last edited:

Direct Webstore

On a scale of 1-10, social proof matters to me personally about a 5/10. With others, it would be 10/10, 0/10, or anything in between.

So the fact that it DOES matter to everyone in varying degrees PLUS the fact that years of data available internet-wide suggests that more social proof means more sales, I'm voting "Yes, it matters". And the more of it the better.

Direct Webstore

Yeah I think it's 5/10 for me too. I think I'm aiming for 500 each platform for now
But even if they had no social proof at all, but I liked the product, I'd still buy it. So even though social proof has "some" influence on me, it's not really that strong.

But every little thing, no matter how strong/weak that helps should be aimed for/utilized if possible, in my opinion. Social proof is just another "component" of the business along with many other components, like good SEO, fast hosting, quick loading sites, saleable products, store design, convincing product descriptions, etc.

I think if you are an ordinary person, 20 subscribers and 100 likes is quite normal. The average person can't have thousands of subscribers.
The thing is, we're talking about "stores/businesses" here, not "ordinary persons". And the average business or store can indeed have thousands of subscribers. It's one of their "Holy Grails" (plus others). Subscribers=Customers. Subscribers/Followers are much better than "Likes".

Last edited:

daniel-97

But every little thing, no matter how strong/weak that helps should be aimed for/utilized if possible, in my opinion. Social proof is just another "component" of the business along with many other components, like good SEO, fast hosting, quick loading sites, saleable products, store design, convincing product descriptions, etc.
Yeah, agreed. I used to be so obsessed with page likes and followers. But I found out that even with 1mil likes, if your product is bad, it's not gonna sell. So I'm now focusing on the product research and ads creatives