PHP Version 7.3 Siteground and ionCube

Romanof54

This is a two part question.

I searched for info on this and didn't find anything regarding PHP version 7.3. From the Alidropship knowledge base it states: "If your using SiteGround as a hosting provider, please note that ionCube works only on PHP 7.2." Siteground will change the default PHP version to 7.3 on 26 February.

I have one other worry. Per the knowledge base "AliDropship plugin/add-ons PHP 5.6/7.0 support termination" the instructions for upgrading require deactivating and deleting the Alidropship Plugin and all Alidropship add-ons. Will I need to follow these instructions for the PHP 7.3 upgrade?

If I missed something please direct me to the answer. Otherwise, can someone tell me if the original plugin will have issues with this change? Or am I worrying about nothing.

Thank you.

Mar

"AliDropship plugin/add-ons PHP 5.6/7.0 support termination"
The authors of the PHP versions stop the support, not Alidropship.
the instructions for upgrading require deactivating and deleting the Alidropship Plugin and all Alidropship add-ons. Will I need to follow these instructions for the PHP 7.3 upgrade?
If you transition your site to PHP7.3, you need to install the PHP7.2+ version of alidropship plugin and add ons
can someone tell me if the original plugin will have issues with this change? Or am I worrying about nothing.
If you install the compatible version, the original plugin has no issue with PHP7.3. Yes, you are worrying about nothing.

Don't expect something big. I have transitioned my site to PHP7.3 several weeks ago until now. There should be some improvements somewhere but it is hardly noticeable.

1581476827565.png

Direct Webstore

Try it, you don't lose anything. But you know it, don't expect something big.
Just changed it to 7.3. Yes ... it was a pretty big "non-event". lol :)

I noticed you had "memcached" ticked, but Interserver does not have that installed for standard hosting. (According to a support chat last year) Or did you upgrade?

Mar

Just changed it to 7.3. Yes ... it was a pretty big "non-event". lol :)

I noticed you had "memcached" ticked, but Interserver does not have that installed for standard hosting. (According to a support chat last year) Or did you upgrade?
I don't upgrade. I cannot remember if I ticked it or maybe it was ticked by default. However, I just did a quick research, https://www.interserver.net/tips/kb/how-to-enable-memcached-on-cpanel-shared-hosting-at-interserver/
I just added the folder according to the instruction and the content of the folder was created by the system.

1581483044123.png

1581483078059.png

Direct Webstore

However, I just did a quick research, https://www.interserver.net/tips/kb/how-to-enable-memcached-on-cpanel-shared-hosting-at-interserver/
I just added the folder according to the instruction and the content of the folder was created by the system.
I don't know what that support guy was on about then. I may try asking another one to double check.

It doesn't work for me. No contents generated.

Nevermind. Everything is running just fine anyway.

Last edited:

Romanof54

Thank you all for the input. Siteground is going to upgrade no matter what. They say it's been around long enough, stable, and compatible with different CMS's, themes and plugins. So. I'm going to stop worrying and go with the flow.

Mar

Thank you all for the input. Siteground is going to upgrade no matter what. They say it's been around long enough, stable, and compatible with different CMS's, themes and plugins. So. I'm going to stop worrying and go with the flow.
SiteGround boasting how good they are with ads everywhere making their plans much more expensive that the rest is yet to support PHP7.3, the PHP version that is supported by most host providers long time ago.

Mar

I don't know what that support guy was on about then. I may try asking another one to double check.
It doesn't work for me. No contents generated.

Nevermind. Everything is running just fine anyway.
There is a support staff of InterServer that is very annoying. Maybe this is the guy who told you memcahced will not work in shared hosting. He was one of the guys who said what I did is right, later said it is not supported in shared hosting, then later again said it is supported in shared hosting and asked apology for the confusion. He is very annoying, not only in this subject. In fact I told everybody not to allow this guy to respond to any of my tickets anymore.

I spent sometime with memcached since according to my research it is better than redis, and it was time well spent. The file inside the folder is not for viewing, according to the support. They suggested to use LiteSpeed cache plugin. It has a setting where memcached can be configured. I was using WP Rocket, but it don't support object cache. I replaced it for a try. There are some plugins especially for the purpose. but they are not compatible with the new versions of Wordpress. This time redis and memcached are active in my sites, I am asking support if I need to deactivate one, no response yet. But the thing is, there is a significant improvement of loading speed of the two sites. I never saw a score of 99 and 100 in mobile and desktop respectively in PageSpeed Insights.

1581918521077.png

1581917850159.png

1581916318263.png
1581916840540.png

Mar

@Mar are you still using Wp-rocket on interserver? Or just memcashed & redis?
@Direct Webstore what configs is working better with interserver?
I am using LiteSpeed cache now. WP-rocket is good but it don't have the integration for memcached. Like Redis, memcached need a cache plugin that support it. There are plugins especially for memcached, most of them are outdated and not supported by the new versions of wordpress. I saw a significant improvement of mechached and LiteSpeed, in terms of loading speed. Every site is different, you try it, you don't lose anything.