KevGL's Journey

kevgl

Hi everyone, i am kevgl and i am from The Netherlands. Since early age i loved computers and wanted to work in the IT industry.
However, i never knew what i wanted to do exactly in life but the thoughts of earning money just from behind your computer always been there. But i didn't had a clue how to start this, hadn't even thought about searching on the web to be honest.. Until after i got unemployed i wanted to change things and started thinking.

I have had experience with websites, webhosting and other basic stuff in the past but this year i wanted to do some more serious stuff then just making simple websites. After some searching around i found about this wonderfull plugin and decided to start an online store also. So i bought it and went on thinking, searching and started to look around in the Alidropship plugin.

I want to tell you i am no marketeer nor do i ever thought about doing internet marketing.
I did however have experience in making websites with Wordpress which isn't very hard to do.

I had a hard time finding a product at first but then it got to me to try the products that are allready selling on Aliexpress. After a few weeks of getting the hang of it i bought a domainname, hooked it up and started building the webstore. And now here i am, still building my store and it's going faster than i thought it would.

I will keep you updated soon when i have had some more work done into it!

Neil

great work kevgl, sticking with it is the key to success ..anyone who tells you drop shipping is easy money is lying, but it can be great money if done correctly and you put in real effort. I look forward to hearing your next update.

kevgl

The last few days i have been importing products, deleting images & texts i didn't wanted and started adding nice and detailed text descriptions for all my products. It took me about 3 days to do 125 products and i am going to stick with this amount for now. I love the idea of having more products but i don't want it to be overwhelming as i am still learning all the basics and i don't want too give my future customers too much choice.

Unfortunately i do have to solve some mail delivery problems and i am still worried my store is too slow for actual audience as i am targeting the United States.
I am thinking of moving the domainname as i am now on a Dutch webhosting which doesn't provide CDN options or foreign servers to be on. I tried using a lot of external CDN's but i can't get my CNAME/TEXT/MX set the right way though. I will try and solve it this week so i can go live soon.

kevgl

great work kevgl, sticking with it is the key to success ..anyone who tells you drop shipping is easy money is lying, but it can be great money if done correctly and you put in real effort. I look forward to hearing your next update.
You are right, Neil. If you really want this to work out, there is a lot of work to do. I like to see this as real work even if it's not paying off right now. Chances are it will pay off in the future and having this in my mind that's giving me the strength to put a lot of effort in it.

kevgl

Yesterday i added ePacket shipping option to all the products.
I had to manually edit every product but it only took me about 45 minutes!

I also tested the store in the following environments:
Windows 10 - Internet Explorer 11 & Microsoft Edge browser on Virtual Box.
Windows 8.1 - Internet Explorer 11 on Virtual Box.
Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 10 on Virtual Box.
Windows 7 - Internet Explorer 11, Mozilla Firefox 49.0.2, Opera 41.0.2. & Google Chrome 54.0.2. on own computer.
iPad & iPhone - iOS 10 - Safari.

In all mentioned browsers/devices it is working correctly and very happy with this result!

As i need to wait in order to move the domain (to a U.S. based server instead of a Dutch one) i have time to think about my next steps.

kevgl

I have been busy setting the store up, added a lot of information, pages, descriptions for products, added a frequently asked questions section, added a phone number with voicemail options, made a super sale category with discounts posted my first blog article and browsed the store a lot to see if everything goes well!

Tomorrow i can move my domainname to an other webhosting company. I hope they can move it fast. Really would like to go live for public before the 24th of november!

kevgl

I now have moved my domain succesfully. A lot of time has passed because i had lots of problems (with moving) which are not important mentioning.
I am now on a cPanel host and i am working on finishing everything. Soon i can go live for public but first gonna do the last work on the store.

Eric S.

Congrats on getting it moved @kevgl - that process is usually fraught with time-consuming issues. Looking forward to hearing about your launch.

kevgl

Congrats on getting it moved @kevgl - that process is usually fraught with time-consuming issues. Looking forward to hearing about your launch.
It was, but just as you said, a dose of reality once in a while is okay!

I look forward to hearing about your launch :)
I have just been testing the payment system and went on ordering a product from my own webshop! I was unable to place the order manually or automatically so i looked the product up via Ali and ordered from there.

I still need to add voicemail for customer calls and update Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram with related content and ofcourse products.

Last edited:

kevgl

So, almost 8 hours ago a Pokémon fan posted my shoutout on his 108k instagram page.

The post on his instagram page got 3822 likes and 19 comments.
The same post with other description on my instagram page got 8 likes and 0 comments. + 38 followers.
The rest of the images (Zelda, Iron Man, dried flowers) and products i have on my instagram are also getting noticed with likes.
My webshop got over 100+ visitors and one abandoned cart of $ 9,99. Not bad i think for my first try.

There is still 16 hours before it will be deleted. Going to install tawk.to Live Chat maybe i can get some interaction with customers!

Maybe the prices are too high or something didn't work. What do you think?

Last edited: