Image uploading creates HUGE folder !

Oh boy it was a pleasure to press DELETE on that 8,4GB image folder :) It consisted 95% of the duplicate-junk and rest was just few page images i needed to upload again and product images in use so i lost about 150 products but it's no big deal since i'm anyway remodelling the whole site. Now i have total size of whole site 0.3GB :) And only image now is being created with original is 50x50 thumbnail which takes space next to nothing.

Gil

Oh boy it was a pleasure to press DELETE on that 8,4GB image folder :) It consisted 95% of the duplicate-junk and rest was just few page images i needed to upload again and product images in use so i lost about 150 products but it's no big deal since i'm anyway remodelling the whole site. Now i have total size of whole site 0.3GB :) And only image now is being created with original is 50x50 thumbnail which takes space next to nothing.

Hi, thanks for the info, if you can please elaborate on the following points that would be super helpful:
1) How to prevent from the Alidropship plugin creating duplicates?
2) How did you import the pictures back after deleting the folder, did you import the product again or add the necessary pictures to each product? (trying to find the fastest way of doing that :))
3) What about product variation pictures and gallery pictures, same as point 2 did you import the products again or added the pictures manually? as I already worked quite a bit of editing the products I'm trying to avoid importing the whole thing again.

Hi, thanks for the info, if you can please elaborate on the following points that would be super helpful:
1) How to prevent from the Alidropship plugin creating duplicates?
2) How did you import the pictures back after deleting the folder, did you import the product again or add the necessary pictures to each product? (trying to find the fastest way of doing that :))
3) What about product variation pictures and gallery pictures, same as point 2 did you import the products again or added the pictures manually? as I already worked quite a bit of editing the products I'm trying to avoid importing the whole thing again.

1)
add_image_size() -function is the "bad boy" creating this junk.
I went to my theme's function.php file and removed unneccessary.
Note that this is THEME's thing. Not the plugin.

2) Products having images in junk folder are permanently lost. Or at least they miss images and all needs to be added manually.
to me it was loss of 150 products as told earlier.

3) -> 2)

:)

Reactions: Gil

Andre M

Hello Andre,

If you are going to say this... and your intention is to be helpful to others, then why not mention how you avoid importing images, and what it is that you do instead. Eh?
Lol sorry go to settings and don't select any box I put screenshot later

elliot59

Lol sorry go to settings and don't select any box I put screenshot later
Super! That's okay, I found the solution. Thanks.

I have about 70 items at the moment, and If I wanted to start over, do you know how to convert existing images to AliExpress links instead?
Without having to import the products again?

If I delete all the images, and click on "Upload images", what will happen? Will it just upload the images again, or if I unclick the options will it load image links ?? Perhaps nothing will happen and I'll be left with no images. I'd rather someone tell me first.

Product images.png

Last edited:

Andre M

I have about 70 items at the moment, and If I wanted to start over, do you know how to convert existing images to AliExpress links instead?

If I delete all the images, and click on "Upload images", what will happen? Will it just upload the images again, or if I unclick the options will it load image links ??

View attachment 7809
I don't know ask support, never do it

girlychoice

If I delete all the images, and click on "Upload images", what will happen? Will it just upload the images again, or if I unclick the options will it load image links ?? Perhaps nothing will happen and I'll be left with no images. I'd rather someone tell me first.

View attachment 7809
@Yaros @Ekaterina Sayapina
Please give me an answer to this question.

Last edited:

elliot59

At the end of the day, because I currently have a limited number of items, I've opted to leave the upload folder alone.
Following the suggestion set forth by Mar, I'm experimenting with no images on the server, by unchecking all of the image types on the AliExpress > settings > Product Images, and [Save Changes].

Do not click on [Upload Images] This will in fact, upload all of the images to the upload folder.

That's it.