"Hey, I see your item on AliExpress for half the price!"

So I recently set up a store using the AliDropship plugin and going through SiteGround as the host. Overall I've been very happy with the way the plugin works, but recently I had a new experience and wanted to ask the forum here if anyone has ever run into something like this.

In addition to my online store, I sometimes order bulk products through AliExpress, etc, to sell locally. Recently one of my successful products ran out at around the same time someone, seeing a local advertisement I posted for the product, wanted to order one. Having another shipment on the way, I told this prospect that I could look them up when my next shipment arrived, they seemed very appreciative of that and said to let them know once I had it on hand.

Tonight this same person sent me a message to see if the product had arrived, I checked my order out and seen that it was still in transit. A while later they text back and said they had found the product on AliExpress.com for half the price of what I was asking locally. Now what's interesting is that if the customer hadn't had a chance to see the product locally they would probably never went looking for the "exact" same product online, but in the mind of the customer I tried to "rip" them off. It kind of reminds me of my day job when someone asks you to design and price a wiring system for them on a new home, you design it, price it, and then before they make a commitment, they take your design and shop it around to your competitors.

Being as new as I am at this dropshipping business, I would appreciate any tips or advice from anyone more experienced than I am. Also, I'm wondering if anyone else both, sells online, and locally to know if they have ever run into this situation and how to avoid it.

Cheers!

Arnaldo

It can happen sometimes, and it can also come from competitors too if you tackle well-known brands.

What you can say is very simple, a bit of a sweet lie but a well-packed argumentation nobody could counter:

"Dear customer, I completely understand your point. As you may know, many products can be found online, whereas it's found on Aliexpress or at our store, these things can happen sometimes it's no mystery. Same as your iPhone, same as your tomatoes price can vary from one seller to another.

What you must know is:

Aliexpress is a wholesale manufacturer seller not aimed at consumers.

For that reason, the price you'll pay on Aliexpress won't include importation taxes you must pay or any warranty.

If you have an issue with your order, you may not be refunded with a Chinese seller, since laws are different between our countries, US laws don't apply there.

Not to mention that base salary is different between China and our country hence the low price on Aliexpress.

Because we are deeply committed to giving our customer the best experience possible here's what we can give you Aliexpress can't:

- A better customer support
- a one year warranty (you can propose it for cheap products)
- larger discounts and customer loyalty program
- no additional taxes
- 45 days refund policy

And most of all, you are participating in your local economy, not a counterfeiter based overseas. We are not Amazon or Walmart and what you pay to us has a real meaning and helps to pay for the school of our children, and we pay taxes for yours. And I'll be always glad to do it for you.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And by the way, here's a special -40% discount on all the store valid for 1 week especially for you.

Truly yours,

The store that brainfucked you so well you'll even pay in the end."

Is it clearer now?

And don't forget to filter facebook comments too. Like no "aliexpress" or "china" word in your feed. And if you see it, just answer the prospect in private messaging.

Last edited:

Arnaldo

And if a customer asks " I've got Chinese packet":

- "As an international company, we have a warehouse in the USA and Asia, based in Hong Kong.
When some items are not available locally we sent your package from our backup warehouse".

Arnaldo

Here's a true life allegory.

Now, Macron president faces a major crisis in my home country, France. Bet he will still be the president after that, whether I like it or not doesn't matter.

You are like a politician, your goal is to sell to your audience and always has an argument prepared for the worse situation.

And if you are clever enough interacting with your audience online, many people will love you for this.

And it doesn't matter if you feel like a douche. You're not the same at the end of the day.

And you'll screw fewer people than any big corporation or a government.

Mar

It can happen sometimes, and it can also come from competitors too if you tackle well-known brands.

What you can say is very simple, a bit of a sweet lie but a well-packed argumentation nobody could counter:

"Dear customer, I completely understand your point. As you may know, many products can be found online, whereas it's found on Aliexpress or at our store, these things can happen sometimes it's no mystery. Same as your iPhone, same as your tomatoes price can vary from one seller to another.

What you must know is:

Aliexpress is a wholesale manufacturer seller not aimed at consumers.

For that reason, the price you'll pay on Aliexpress won't include importation taxes you must pay or any warranty.

If you have an issue with your order, you may not be refunded with a Chinese seller, since laws are different between our countries, US laws don't apply there.

Not to mention that base salary is different between China and our country hence the low price on Aliexpress.

Because we are deeply committed to giving our customer the best experience possible here's what we can give you Aliexpress can't:

- A better customer support
- a one year warranty (you can propose it for cheap products)
- larger discounts and customer loyalty program
- no additional taxes
- 45 days refund policy

And most of all, you are participating in your local economy, not a counterfeiter based overseas. We are not Amazon or Walmart and what you pay to us has a real meaning and helps to pay for the school of our children, and we pay taxes for yours. And I'll be always glad to do it for you.

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

And by the way, here's a special -40% discount on all the store valid for 1 week especially for you.

Truly yours,

The store that brainfucked you so well you'll even pay in the end."

Is it clearer now?

And don't forget to filter facebook comments too. Like no "aliexpress" or "china" word in your feed. And if you see it, just answer the prospect in private messaging.
That's right. I have come across one message asking if this item in my store is the same as one in AliExpress which is of course cheaper. I pretended not to be sure, it maybe the same, it may be not and told the guy if it is the same, there are many reasons why this one from AliExpress is cheaper because of this, because of that and blah, blah blah. There are many ways to reason out.

SauDev

In my opinion all the answers above are valid but I prefer a different approach to avoid any inconvenience, as a dropshipper you took the time and effort to enhance the products, you made researches and studied the products, you even paid to get the online store up and running and you are an authorized reseller which gives you the right to charge more, however the best way to get your customers satisfaction is to let them know you care.
I would suggest a reply similar to this:

Hello (customer name),
Thank you for reaching out to us, We highly appreciate your feedback, As we always strive to improve our services we will take it into our considerations.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Sincerely,

(Your name)
(Your website link or signature)