Google Speed Insights - poor score

Nick84

Hello,

I've run the google speed test today and results are quite bad (40/100 mobile, 49/100 desktop). I have the non-woo version of the plugin, Michelangelo theme and i also have the WP Super Cache plugin activated. Apart from that I only have 3 other plugins running in the background, so not a lot of stuff installed. Based on the recommendations from Google I am obviously able to optimize images which I already did, but the rest of the things I cannot really tweak (see recommendations below). Can AliDropship support please elaborate on these and advise how they can be fixed?

Enable compression
Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.

Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content
Your page has 10 blocking script resources and 5 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

Minify JavaScript
Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.

Victoria Kudryashova

Administrator
Hello,

I've run the google speed test today and results are quite bad (40/100 mobile, 49/100 desktop). I have the non-woo version of the plugin, Michelangelo theme and i also have the WP Super Cache plugin activated. Apart from that I only have 3 other plugins running in the background, so not a lot of stuff installed. Based on the recommendations from Google I am obviously able to optimize images which I already did, but the rest of the things I cannot really tweak (see recommendations below). Can AliDropship support please elaborate on these and advise how they can be fixed?

Enable compression
Compressing resources with gzip or deflate can reduce the number of bytes sent over the network.

Your page has 10 blocking script resources and 5 blocking CSS resources. This causes a delay in rendering your page.

Leverage browser caching

Setting an expiry date or a maximum age in the HTTP headers for static resources instructs the browser to load previously downloaded resources from local disk rather than over the network.

Minify JavaScript
Compacting JavaScript code can save many bytes of data and speed up downloading, parsing, and execution time.
Thank you for letting us know - we will check with our developers and make optimization.

artmelkon

Thank you for letting us know - we will check with our developers and make optimization.
I have a similar issue and I am using Rembrandt theme.
Can you guys review and let me know what actions should I take?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor

55 / 100

This page is not optimized and is likely to deliver a slow user experience. Please prioritize and apply the recommendations below.
Possible Optimizations
Leverage browser caching
Reduce server response time
Optimize images
Enable compression
Minify JavaScript

Mike T

After trying a lot of caching plugins, including WP Super Cache, Autoptimize, WP Rocket, etc, I've had the best results with Swift Performance Plugin (I am not affiliated with them, their plugin is just worth being recommended). They have an image optimization module, a critical CSS generator, Gzip compression, etc.

Keep in mind that some of those "issues" signaled by the Google Pagespeed Insights or other page speed testing speed can't be easily solved and they are not caused by AliDropsip (which I am also not affiliated with ;) ).

Take the recommendations and try to solve of them one by one:

Enable compression
Easily done with Swift Performance or manually by editing .htaccess (only if you know what you're doing, backup everything BEFORE) as shown here https://www.godaddy.com/garage/enable-gzip-compression-wordpress-website/ . Yoast SEO has a file editor that you can use to edit .htaccess from within your WordPress dashboard. Make sure you know what you're doing. If you manage to break the website, you might need to use FTP or your host's file editor to edit .htaccess again and remove the code that broke your website. There are ways in which you can enable Gzip directly on the server, if you have access to it, but I won't post them here because it is more advanced and also poses a higher risk of you doing something wrong.

Not so easily done, you may need a developer, you need to figure out which scripts are mandatory and which can be loaded only after first user interaction. Swift Performance can generate critical CSS and help you lazy load script if you know how to prioritize or de-prioritize them

Leverage browser caching
Easily done with a caching plugin, but you will still get a warning for some external resources (scripts, CSS, etc that will get loaded from other websites)

Minify JavaScript
Can be done with most caching plugins, but it might generate errors and a broken layout on your website. You need to do a little bit of detective work and figure out which scripts are causing issues and exclude them from minification

Reduce server response time
If you are using shared hosting, you have a very limited number of resources at your disposal. If your website has 25 plugins installed and a lot of JavaScript, that will slow down your server response time considerably. Contact your host to get more resources, switch to a VPS or clear the cache and go through your plugins one by one and try to figure out which one(s) increases the response time the most. It's grueling work, so it's best to keep your WordPress installation light, with as few plugins installed as possible.

Optimize images
Scale and compress the images before using them on your website. Swift Performance has an image optimization module, or you can use a plugin such as WP Smush. If you are editing the images yourself, get familiarized with the default image sizes your theme uses and scale the accordingly in Photoshop or other image editing software.

If you have other issues you need to solve, research them one by one and learn how to fix them. Also, sign up for a free CloudFlare account and see if that improves your website's performance.

Most of the time, your website's loading speed is not affected just by a single plugin or theme, but by a variety of factors that require a lot of work to fix. Therefore, the answer to how do I improve my website's loading speed is a very complex answer and takes a lot of work.

Good luck!

artmelkon

For those who are having Leverage browser caching issues just copy this code and paste into your .htaccess file, however before doing so just back up your original .htaccess file. I have done this to avoid installing another plugin to control the cache and fewer plugins mins better loading time. Hope this will help, if you will have any question just reply to this post

------------------copy below this line----------------

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive On
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/html "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
ExpiresDefault "access 1 month"
</IfModule>
## EXPIRES CACHING ##

Dawoo

Hi all,
AliDropship plugin and hosting

I have question do you know if this plan of AliDropship plugin (2 GB disc space) is enough for a beginner business website? What is the best plan out of this you recommend to have ?

Also, do you know if godaddy hosting works with AliDropship plugin? and which hosting I should subscribe to? Website hosting or wordpress hosting?

Thanks

artmelkon

Hi all,

I have question do you know if this plan of AliDropship plugin (2 GB disc space) is enough for a beginner business website? What is the best plan out of this you recommend to have ?

Also, do you know if godaddy hosting works with AliDropship plugin? and which hosting I should subscribe to? Website hosting or wordpress hosting?

Thanks
I use Hostgator and I had shared hosting, which performs poorly for ecom, I switched to cloud hosting, that sounds better than shared or optimized WordPress hosting, these are hosting plans offered by Hostgator. Just google and you will find a good amount of info about it and best hosting services for ecom.
I don't know about godaddy, but I am sure it should be compatible with Alidropship plugin.

Victoria Kudryashova

Administrator
Hi all,

Thanks
Hello , GoDaddy Hosting is ok for AliDropship plugin, you need Website Hosting.
Silver plan with 2 GB disc space is enough for a beginner, anyway you can upgrade whenever you want.

Davidoff

I don't want to post new tread, so I ask my questions here.
Leverage browser caching
Easily done with a caching plugin, but you will still get a warning for some external resources (scripts, CSS, etc that will get loaded from other websites)
Is there any option to solve the issue with external resources? Gtmetrix under Leverage browser caching tab shows only external resources (mailchimp, google tag manager or facebook)
For those who are having Leverage browser caching issues just copy this code and paste into your .htaccess file, however before doing so just back up your original .htaccess file. I have done this to avoid installing another plugin to control the cache and fewer plugins mins better loading time. Hope this will help, if you will have any question just reply to this post
2. My .htaccess file looks like this:
# Leverage Browser Caching by SG-Optimizer
<IfModule mod_expires.c>
ExpiresActive on
ExpiresDefault "access plus 6 months"
# CSS
ExpiresByType text/css "access plus 1 year"
# HTML components (HTCs)
ExpiresByType text/x-component "access plus 2 months"
# HTML
ExpiresByType text/html "access plus 6 months"
# JavaScript
ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/x-javascript "access plus 1 year"
# Manifest files
ExpiresByType application/x-web-app-manifest+json "access plus 0 seconds"
ExpiresByType text/cache-manifest "access plus 0 seconds"
# Media
ExpiresByType audio/ogg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/svg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/svg+xml "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType video/mp4 "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType video/ogg "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType video/webm "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/pdf "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access plus 1 year"
# Web feeds
ExpiresByType application/atom+xml "access plus 1 hour"
ExpiresByType application/rss+xml "access plus 1 hour"
# Web fonts
ExpiresByType application/font-woff "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/font-woff2 "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/vnd.ms-fontobject "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType application/x-font-ttf "access plus 1 year"
ExpiresByType font/opentype "access plus 1 year"
</IfModule>
I am not using SG-Optimizer plugin anymore. Should I swap this code with the one above or just leave it like it is?
Thank you for any help.

Hi Victoria,

I have activated "SEO Image Optimizer" but getting very slow speed as per test through Google Page Speed and GTmetrix website.

Google Page Speed Score - (Mobile speed 29 and Desktop 64)
GTmetrix - Full load time is 10.3 second

As per your recommendation website speed must be between 1 to 5 second but not getting this output. Can you pls help out in this regard so we can improve our website speed ?

Thanks!

Direct Webstore

Google Page Speed is generally accepted as being inaccurate. Do a search and it will be confirmed. Try GTMetrix and others.

Google Page Speed is generally accepted as being inaccurate. Do a search and it will be confirmed. Try GTMetrix and others.

GTMetrix already tried but getting output between 9 to 10 seconds for full load but before optimization it was between 4-6 . Not understanding the difference before and after activated this plugin.

Direct Webstore

Not understanding the difference before and after activated this plugin.
No one could really answer that. Other factors we don't know about are involved too. Like the size and number of images, other plugins/scripts, whether you emptied the site's and browser's caches, your host's speed etc