El Greco woo Instagram feed

johnweyer

So I am setting up site starting with install of demo content - it is very easy to do and I am very happy with how it is coming along. The Instagram feed is set up through customize - front page - instagram feed - input name. Very easy. I am getting the error "Instagram has returned invalid data". The link is correct
{{ https://www.instagram.com/insta-name/ }} I have, in the past, used widgets to give instagram permission to link to a new site but I don't see that option here in El Greco Woo. Is that the issue? have I missed something? Thanks for any assistance

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

So I am setting up site starting with install of demo content - it is very easy to do and I am very happy with how it is coming along. The Instagram feed is set up through customize - front page - instagram feed - input name. Very easy. I am getting the error "Instagram has returned invalid data". The link is correct
{{ https://www.instagram.com/insta-name/ }} I have, in the past, used widgets to give instagram permission to link to a new site but I don't see that option here in El Greco Woo. Is that the issue? have I missed something? Thanks for any assistance
Hello John.

Thanks for your feedback!
I'm sorry to hear you're having such troubles. However, the issue is caused by Instagram, not by the theme. You might want to try a third-party solution that uses Access token.

johnweyer

Ekaterina - Thank you for your reply. Upon further research I have found that Instagram had planned to phase out the current API in early 2020 but this has been done effective Oct 15 for all new clients. From instagram.com/developer - "To continuously improve Instagram users' privacy and security, we are accelerating the deprecation of Instagram API Platform, making the following changes effective immediately..... " Gradually all sites using the deprecated API will get that error message. I imagine your developers are aware of this.
The only work-around currently is to use hashtags. Where you would input the username in an app, you would now input #username. This will allow the display of posts that have that particular hashtag. This works in my new El Greco theme site. As long as a post has the hashtag #username it will display. My instagram posts without the hashtag do not display. The name displayed on site below "Shop Our Instagram" will now show as @#username.
I will leverage this to my advantage. If a customer posts a picture of a product on their Instagram with the hashtag for my site I believe it will show on this feed. I can encourage them to do that and it is good for advertising and SEO. And change "Shop Our Instagram" to something else.
sorry for rambling but this sounds like it will be an issue for many people

Direct Webstore

I don't see the point of that widget anyway. Most people use their Instagram account to get people to go to their site/store.

This widget is the opposite and apparently is supposed to get people ALREADY on your site to leave and go to your Instagram page. Again, what's the point? I want customers on my site/s to stay there. Not to mention the extra load time it puts on your stores home page.

I totally got rid of it when I used the Original plugin and its themes long ago and replaced it with a shortcode for the "Decent Comments" (Reviews) plugin which had much more value for my stores home page in my opinion. (Used a child theme and edited the sidebar page, whatever it was called. Forget now.)

There's only one thing worse than widgets like this on a home page that take customers away from your site and that's one of those totally useless "Calendar widgets". So "1995" lol ;)

sorry for rambling
Me too.
Just my opinion. Just ignore me. lol

:)

Last edited:

johnweyer

DWS - not sure where you are located or how this forum records time, but it seems you are up in the wee hours as I am. When I do do my best rambling. You make a very valid point about the instagram feed widgets. I can see posting pictures from there as some sort of social validation and maybe build a little more trust but the more I think about it why would I want to direct someone away from my site? On the other hand someone checking out the full instagram page might be the thing that gets the trust and clicking back into the home page is easy enough. Doubt there is any data on this. But those calendar widgets? oh yeah, so dated. whatever was their point anyway? and yes, I used them to fill up sidebars on some adsense sites from years ago.

Direct Webstore

DWS - not sure where you are located or how this forum records time

I'm in Sydney, Australia. I'm pretty sure the timestamps on posts are controlled by the local time on your computer via your browser. My post above was made on Wednesday 7.32 P.M. Your post above says Thursday 5:10 P.M