Description for every product page?

balflearlee

Hi all, I'm wondering do we really need to have short description (~200-300 words count) for every product page?
It's kinda tedious to do so, especially I'm not a good writer lolz

Is it a must for SEO? and how you guys practicing this?

A newbie wants to get some bullets :p

Mar

Hi all, I'm wondering do we really need to have short description (~200-300 words count) for every product page?

Where did you get this requirement? You need to do some research. Find some e-commerce sites and see if they have this 200-300 words count.

daniel-97

Yeah I'm doing it for my SEO, just knew about SEO lately so still practicing.
do we really need to have short description (~200-300 words count) for every product page?
No, according to Rank Math plugin, we need 600+ words, and I did 200-300 words for my products so let's see how things go!
1594556035118.png

Mar

No, according to Rank Math plugin, we need 600+ words, and I did 200-300 words for my products so let's see how things go!
View attachment 12338
So it is like a novel in every product. If you have 1000 products, you have a thousand novels?

daniel-97

So it is like a novel in every product. If you have 1000 products, you have a thousand novels?
Kind of, it's called keyword density, the number of keyword must be around 1-2% over the whole paragraph. It's what rank you higher on Google page for SEO, and a lot of other work too

In the past, Google rank product's page by the density so many people just copied their keyword x1000-3000 times. But SEO always changing so it's getting more strict through times. These information I got from "Wholesale Ted" Youtube channel, she's like an expert on SEO

chris37

View attachment 12338
I use rank math!
the 600 word if is not original content by you dont try it..google dont like duplicate content and is will put in lower score in search engine.
So is not really matter if you don't have original content writing by you or from professional writer.

chris37

Kind of, it's called keyword density, the number of keyword must be around 1-2% over the whole paragraph. It's what rank you higher on Google page for SEO, and a lot of other work too

In the past, Google rank product's page by the density so many people just copied their keyword x1000-3000 times. But SEO always changing so it's getting more strict through times. These information I got from "Wholesale Ted" Youtube channel, she's like an expert on SEO

Is a good channel I follow sara too!;)

daniel-97

I use rank math!
the 600 word if is not original content by you dont try it..google dont like duplicate content and is will put in lower score in search engine.
So is not really matter if you don't have original content writing by you or from professional writer.
New information!
Is a good channel I follow sara too!
Hehe, she's good and I love her voice, she quoted me on one of her video too! Just binge watching her vids everyday

chris37

I like Sara accent as well :)

Anyway about the other thing is not new information about the dublicate content, alidropship team also know it !

The basic answer of those when they sell premium store is you got your sale from the pay ad and not from the organic seo,
I found this anwser in one question giving from those in a youtube comment video :)

Direct Webstore

I meant new information for me!
Google "Plagiarism Checker" and post any content into one of them to check for originality if you have "borrowed" and/or edited any content from elsewhere. (Product descriptions, blogs etc).

I only write 100% original content for everything, so I don't bother with it.

That's not carved in stone. Quality is better than quantity. Two or three engaging sentences saying how the product can be of use to the buyer is much better than 600 words of boring keyword overloaded waffling ... at least it is in terms of making a sale, that is. (Keyword abuse/overuse is also penalized) Making sales takes precedence over SEO in my book. You need a balance between "selling" and complying with "abstract SEO rules" ... in my opinion.

But Social Media interaction generates FAR more traffic than SEO these days. Not every site can be on the first page of search results. And it's only the first page that matters. No one goes to page two. Good SEO is important, but for me, Social Media is first and SEO is second. It's not the 90s anymore.

Last edited:

daniel-97

Google "Plagiarism Checker" and post any content into one of them to check for originality if you have "borrowed" and/or edited any content from elsewhere. (Product descriptions, blogs etc).

I only write 100% original content for everything, so I don't bother with it.
I write my own content too, but I borrow the bullet points from online blogs, don't know if it will get me into trouble or not
For me, Social Media first, SEO second. It's not the 90s anymore.
Yeb, totally agree. But it's fun learning about SEO for me, so why not :)

Direct Webstore

I write my own content too, but I borrow the bullet points from online blogs, don't know if it will get me into trouble or not
LIke product specifications? That's fine.

But it's fun learning about SEO for me, so why not
Sure, it should be learned, but like I said ...
Good SEO is important, but for me, Social Media is first
For me, it's fun and much more productive to write and engage on Social Media (with help from Social Rabbit) than stress out too much over SEO.

We just have two different things we find "fun" ... No worries. ;)

balflearlee

Where did you get this requirement? You need to do some research. Find some e-commerce sites and see if they have this 200-300 words count.

I did, and 1 of my competitor even having 500 or more word count for every single product page and category page....and it ranked 3 in that keyword after Amazon.

So is life.

View attachment 12342
... or die.

;)

I am setting up my new store, start from 50products and planning to write 150~200 words for product page. Wish to get my SEO right in the first place.

GoLogin

A great product description has the power to turn a casual shopper into a revenue-generating buyer. Yet too many online stores simply tell shoppers about the product rather than selling it to them.

daniel-97

A great product description has the power to turn a casual shopper into a revenue-generating buyer. Yet too many online stores simply tell shoppers about the product rather than selling it to them.
Agreed, people are saving the wrong effort

Direct Webstore

Agreed, people are saving the wrong effort

https://sumo.com/stories/product-description-examples

The place above, he copy/pasted it from agrees too. ;)

He seems to be copy/pasting snippets all over the place. Oh well, it's a harmless enough hobby I guess.