Variation images gone after Bulk Action Reset

Mar

I performed the new Bulk Action Reset to restore the Ship from attributes I edited earlier. The result: Ship from attributes are back but all variation images are gone. I'll have to reset the product in edit page Supplier tab to restore the variation images and that is in all product one by one. This is a big setback of a new function with the objective of making a task fast and easier. I have sent this issue to the support, waiting for a response. This is a warning to other users. To the support team, please resolve this issue before I reset again in Bulk Actions. I cannot reset all 2,000 products one by one.

1572939793100.png

After reset in product page Bulk Actions.

1572939887267.png

After reset of the same product in edit page Supplier tab
1572940708379.png

Mar

I need a word from the support team about this issue. There is no variation images of all products in my website now. This issue is real, being silent won't help. Even the email I sent to support, not even an automated response, as if the email is invisible.

Jin Jie

Oh dear! Sorry to hear that, and thanks for the warning.
Testing new features can be devastating especially in your case as you have so many products.
I was about to update WooCommerce to the latest version (3.8) but after looking at the very long list of changes, I will hold off for a while just in case my site breaks.
Do you have a backup you can restore to save you manually adding back the variation images?

Mar

Do you have a backup you can restore to save you manually adding back the variation images?
I am planning to restore the data base from a backup. All changes after that backup date will be gone including products edited and published which is the most time consuming and most tiresome of all, but there is no other way. The silence of the support team is deafening in this issue. Even if this reset in Bulk Actions is fixed and I am able to restore the variation images, they will have watermarks which I spent a great great deal of time removing. I will spend the rest of my life removing it again. The damage has been done.

Jin Jie

I am surprised that you have not received a response from the team, perhaps they are looking into it right now?
A database restore should work fine, but you are right any recent changes will be lost.
You are probably aware that when you remove watermarks the original with the watermark is still on your server.
I am using WP Real Media Library and every product has two folders. One with the product and variation images and one with review images.
I first create the category folders before adding the product and review folders.
That way I can delete every unused image and save a ton of space which reduces my backup size.
It is time consuming but certainly speeds up my site and makes it easier to add Product images, Product gallery images, and Variation images.
Anything not used is deleted.

Mar

I am surprised that you have not received a response from the team, perhaps they are looking into it right now?
Before posting here, I sent this email to the support. That is to avoid embarrassment. I am sure they are aware of the issue but chose to ignore it hoping it would go away without intervention, in short they are hoping for a miracle.

I am planning to restore the data base from a backup. All changes after that backup date will be gone including products edited and published which is the most time consuming and most tiresome of all, but there is no other way. The silence of the support team is deafening in this issue. Even if this reset in Bulk Actions is fixed and I am able to restore the variation images, they will have watermarks which I spent a great great deal of time removing. I will spend the rest of my life removing it again. The damage has been done.

We know exactly how it feels. Been there before in the "getting to grips" phase with the whole product import process only to botch it up with some price/update malfunction re: earlier versions of the plugin. Realistically, we just dread that something like this will happen again as we trudge on ... and it will.

So we did this periodic manual backup thing with Updraft Plus plugin which is ok for most parts. Now we are looking at an auto/manual daily/weekly backup solution for specific databases (or all if you wish) so that we can restore a specific database/table when required. Lighter load and quick - seems less of a chore! Or setup auto and presto you have yesterday's backup on hand everyday :)

Here's a write-up that we found informative:

10 Ways to Automatically & Manually Backup MySQL Database
https://www.jotform.com/blog/how-to-backup-mysql-database/

Reactions: Mar

Mar

Issue has been fixed at ver. 1.6.3.1
I have restored data base and upload folder, resolved the issue before this update. Thanks for the update that fixed the Bulk Actions reset. It is a convenient way of knowing which product is marked out of stock and easily reset there. Only that the reset will include variation images with watermarks.

Mar

Here's a write-up that we found informative:

10 Ways to Automatically & Manually Backup MySQL Database
https://www.jotform.com/blog/how-to-backup-mysql-database/
Thanks for the information. My cPanel have this Acronis backup. It backup everything including all data base silently in the background and store back up files in their server, nothing to worry about eating up space. It is a straight forward backup and restore, saved me many times.