Stricter rules for dropshipping in the EU a problem for me (new Dutch retailer)?

dutchshipper

I am building my own dropshipping store in the Netherlands and am currently comparing some EU suppliers vs Ali. Until last week I was quite sure I wanted to start with products from Ali suppliers. The pricing, plugins and wide range of products all seemed better. I had a shop with Oberlo a few years ago, and I wanted to start one again. I see Oberlo is no longer operational but found some other plugins instead.

So I thought I was all good, but now I read something about stricter rules for getting goods into the EU (source: NOS.nl, in Dutch, sry) and now I am wondering if I should go for only European suppliers instead. However, I can't really find any good products here. I found quite a few suppliers (like here or here) but most of those offer items I dont really like (like furniture or sports/pets) or that are sold here quite a lot already. I am looking for items I can easily attract an audience with on social media. On Ali I found some suppliers for womens bags, eyewear and even a nice supplier with a big assortment of piercings that look really great.

Of course I want to give the best service and will offer a 30 day no good money back guarantee. However, I am worried about the liability for such products. I am just a small online retailer. I am insured for company liability, but I doubt my insurance covers any damage for skin products that I picked but didnt shipped myself. How are you guys dealing with this?

Reactions: kdb

spoo

I am dropshipping from Germany via Aliexpress. Also to customers from the Netherlands. No problems. VAT is added automatically by Aliexpress so that the customers need not pay anything for the customs (in case this is your problem).
My shop is https://spoo-design.de.
I do only sell products around 20-30 Euro, so in case something goes badly wrong - I just refund the customer and thats it. But usually everything runs fine. When a product is not delivered (e.g. for a wrong adress) and gets back to Ali, you will get your money back from there, too.
Fortunately only very few customers take their right so send the products back. Then they ship it to me on their costs (Germany) and I try to sell it directly again.
I think piercings can be a good idea!! Like other jewelry - small and not too expensice. Also thought of it, but I do not have any personal attachement., so I let it be.
Insurance - for what? (I would not sell electric devices or baby products where potential harm may happen. But I would not care with fashion and jewelry stuff).
My best wishes,
Sandra

Last edited:

kdb

I have received the orders from EU, UK, AU excluding NL (A very beautiful country-love it), so can't help you much; however, as Ms. Sandra Said AliExpress is deducting the VAT so no need to worry, just start and see what will happen. The real-life experience is much better.

My Suggestion: Avoid products such as cosmetics, fragile, heavy, and large items.

regards,
kdb

kdb

I am dropshipping from Germany via Aliexpress. Also to customers from the Netherlands. No problems. VAT is added automatically by Aliexpress so that the customers need not pay anything for the customs (in case this is your problem).
My shop is https://spoo-design.de.
I do only sell products around 20-30 Euro, so in case something goes badly wrong - I just refund the customer and thats it. But usually everything runs fine. When a product is not delivered (e.g. for a wrong adress) and gets back to Ali, you will get your money back from there, too.
Fortunately only very few customers take their right so send the products back. Then they ship it to me on their costs (Germany) and I try to sell it directly again.
I think piercings can be a good idea!! Like other jewelry - small and not too expensice. Also thought of it, but I do not have any personal attachement., so I let it be.
Insurance - for what? (I would not sell electric devices or baby products where potential harm may happen. But I would not care with fashion and jewelry stuff).
My best wishes,
Sandra

Your website is marvelous.

KDB

spoo

Thank you! :)

Indeed it is still just a rather small side business, but it allows me to go to "normal work" only part time - and life a much freer life than most people do.

And most important: it makes me fun!

So my tip is - yes, avoid "healthy", big and electric products (short: everything that might cause potential problems) - but definitely choose something that you like by yourself!

dutchshipper

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, when I see that shop of yours Spoo, I also feel like it again. I have owned dropshipping shops before and have a lot of experience marketing them.

For cosmetics (or actually also piercings!) I had already found very good products. I see the risks, but you sell earrings Spoo, that's going well, isn't it? I had already done some research and see a lot of opportunities there.

spoo

I do not see any risk with earrings and/or piercings?
For the material or what do you mean?

Cosmetics I would not go for (like health products). You'll never know if it is inside whats written on the package.

dofeeds

When deciding between EU suppliers and AliExpress for your dropshipping store in the Netherlands, there are factors to consider. While AliExpress may offer better pricing and a wider product range, recent stricter EU import rules might pose challenges. European suppliers could provide compliance advantages but finding suitable products may be difficult. Ensure liability coverage for products and consider integrating DoFeeds dropshipping services to streamline your business.