Have I picked a bad product line or what?

Kerry

I decided to do a drop shipping store based on Lingerie.

https://sizzleintimates.com/

The disappointment is hard to express. I've put hundreds of hours into research, added every plugin I was told, bought marketing programs, labored over choosing the best products i could find, and hired people to write custom descriptions for the products.

I've spent hundreds on Facebook and Google adwords to generate traffic.

In July 1,752 people visited the site.

2 people placed orders totaling 104.98

NOBODY, signed up for email with the pop-up window, and just a small handful signed up with the form at the bottom of each page.

I tried everything the "GURU's" said and still nothing ...

Where have I gone wrong?

I worry that Alilexpress products are over exposed. The same products I sell are in dozens of stores on ebay and amazon as other misc sites around.

Every time I visit a non-related site, I find Aliexpress has paid sites to promote the very products I sell, but the links don't go to my store, they go back to Aliexpress where people buy them at the same price I pay for them.

I'm trying hard not to go negative, but with this expensive experiment, it's hard not to think of drop shipping as a scam.

I can't see any path forward to profitability.

I'm hoping somebody can point out the reasons I am failing and how wrong I am :)

If you have some thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks in advance

Kerry

Unfeasible

Initial feeling after visiting your site, it lacks emotion.
Something like this: http://www.agentprovocateur.com/gb_en/new-in has a more personal feel to the site.
https://www.boody.com.au/ or http://www.monki.com/gb/Underwear feel more like they understand the person wearing the items.

In your adverts, are you focusing on a single product, and linking directly to that page rather than the home page?
Don't worry about the google adwords just for now. Try a facebook post about a product, and then boost it. Rather than straight for adverts in the sidebar.

I am still working on my store and testing the promotional waters, it is not easy I can tell you.

I also worry the aliexpress products are over exposed now. Or if not, the future small stores reselling are going to have muchos-issues.

Hearing everyones massive results does give me worry that only a few will succeed, though I will give it a go anyway, because it is exciting.
Perhaps the real money is making people pay you to tell them how to set up a store or something like that? I saw one for $2495 recently.
All the plugins and tutorial people I feel got all the money.

https://alidropship.com/best-dropshipping-niches-ultimate-list/
Here is the list of niches that are supposed to be worth trying. Lingerie is not on there from what I can see.

Sorry if this is not the most helpful. - You are sharing my thoughts and potential similar experiences.

Kerry

Unfeasible ..thank you so much for your thoughts. I'm trying to find ways of adding energy to my site, but it's harder to do than I thought :)

My adverts are both for for single products, and for the general product line. I do use Facebook Boost all the time. In fact that's been the main thrust of my marketing.

I agree about the hawkers of Dropshipping information. Frankly, I believe they are just capitalizing on people who are desperate to make money.

They are nothing more than sales pitches masquerading as information.

Most of the success articles I see from Shopify and others, are about developing a unique product that can be perceived as having no competition. Trying to carve out a niche of clients that don't yet realize your products can be found in a hundred other places (usually for less money) is a hard road to travel.

My lingerie site appeals to the female 25-34 group. This group is defined by being very computer literate with tons of Internet savvy. That further complicates the marketing.

So my marketing plan is to forget sales for now, and instead focus on growing my Facebook likes with information, sales, new product announcements and so on. Over time this herd of potential clients may turn into real customers. It's much slower, but it's the only path forward I can see in this business.

Kerry

kingpin

Hi kerry
I just visited your website and all i can say the reason of not getting sales is that your site is not User Interfaced optimised by saying this i mean texts and stuffs are not looking or aligned perfectly on mobile devices. As i checked it from my mobile right now.

Dropshiping is a 1000s year old business model and every this and then retail or whole business in the world is somewhere a dropshiping business.

Aliexpress is having millions of products and there are 2 billion facebook accounts worldwide. Consumer wants never ends so they buy again and again hut the question is why they'll buy from you, your store why not from the walmasts or amazon or eBay

You need to have A USP for your store.

Lingerie dropshiping is a sexy business model. Nothing is wrong with your niche. I know a friend from US making five figures now with her lingerie dropshiping business.

I see you're using shopify. So i understand the pain also. This is not a get rich quick schemes. This business model is a real business.

And no niche is oversaturated. Everything that is having competition in eccommerce is a good sign.

There are many gurus out there teaching different shits and grabbing money from innocent people. All i will tell you is focus more on learning. To me your site looks distracting from the main objective which is to make people buy. Your site sure need optimisation.

And one more thing. Marketing is all about selling sand in the deserts. If you can do this you'll become successful in any business.

Facebook ads is a powerful medium.
Google adwords is more powerful but little expensive.

Dropshiping is a cool biz model. Just imagine how fucked you'd be if all the lingeries were manufactured by you, warehoused by you, shipped by you and then you faced failures.

You're and everyone who is in this business is lucky that even when they're losing money they're only losing advertising money and some setup costs.

I know real manufacturing units crying and in loss in millions in my city.

There are around 900,000 e-commerce websites in the world
There are around 2.5 billion internet users worldwide

2 billion users on FB
you think you cant achieve even 1000 customers?

My advice is focus on learning not earning.

Learn marketing as much as possible. But dont get overloaded with so called gurus teachings.

Focus on these things
1. Why they will buy from my store?
2. Make a roadmap strategies
3. Make videos ads too
4. Focus more on instagram also
5. Learn what successful stores are doing
6. Just dont sell focus on branding also
7. Make bundle sales like get three lingeries on the price of one or stuffs like that.

8. Tell all your female friends about your store and ask them to give feedback. Don't tell that its a dropshiping store

9. Learn facebook flex targeting good.

WINNERS NEVER DO DIFFERENT THINGS THEY DO THE THINGS DIFFERENTLY

Just dont give up. All the best. I will give you more details on what things you need to optimize on your website later.

And yeah i love alidropship plugin more thn Shopify :)

Last edited: