Got mail from PicRights to pay the fee for illegal use of image in my site.

Ramakrishna

I got the below mail from PicRights to pay the fee for illegal use of image in my store. The image is downloaded into my site, when I have downloaded/imported the product from AliExpress.
Need ur suggestion on the below mail.

Re: Copyright Infringement –

Thank you for your email, this email is in response to your email below.

The fee of US$1470.00 is a compliance fee based on your use of the image. The actual license value would have been US$840.00 (See attached).

In the interest of settling this matter, PicRights is prepared at this point to resolve this matter in exchange for a payment of US$840.00.No further rights granted.

Mar

I got the below mail from PicRights to pay the fee for illegal use of image in my store. The image is downloaded into my site, when I have downloaded/imported the product from AliExpress.

The fee of US$1470.00 is a compliance fee based on your use of the image. The actual license value would have been US$840.00 (See attached).

In the interest of settling this matter, PicRights is prepared at this point to resolve this matter in exchange for a payment of US$840.00.No further rights granted.
It is rather funny.

Sunster

Staff member
From what i know, PicRights is a legitimate company. You should consult a professional and be careful of forum advice for something like this. Especially since the image originated from Aliexpress and we use a plugin to import that image without even knowing who owns the original image.

alphadoghosting.com
15% off for LIFE on web hosting for Alidropship plugin users (pm for coupon)

Mar

From what i know, PicRights is a legitimate company. You should consult a professional and be careful of forum advice for something like this. Especially since the image originated from Aliexpress and we use a plugin to import that image without even knowing who owns the original image.

alphadoghosting.com
You don't even know if the e-mail received was legitimate or a scam. If you think it is legitimate, he should pay it and I am sure he will receive another e-mail about another image in his website and pay it again.

Sunster

Staff member
You don't even know if the e-mail received was legitimate or a scam. If you think it is legitimate, he should pay it and I am sure he will receive another e-mail about another image in his website and pay it again.
Actually like I said, from what i know, PicRights is a legitimate company. If the email really is from them then it's not as simple. And it's very very easy for folks on forums to say "just ignore it" (<-this is probably the #1 response), "sounds fake", "they can't do anything", "it's a scam", etc etc and in the end, there's only one person that gets screwed when it turns out that it was a legitimate copyright infringement claim. In the end it's up to the op to do the research really, i'm only going by what i remember reading about them and real or not, the advice still applies.
@Ramakrishna , let us know what happens and if they are claiming the infringement on behalf of another party, then you can also reach out to that party directly.

alphadoghosting.com

Last edited:

ZAPPY

Ramakrishna said:
... illegal use of image in my store.
WOW!

Is it poss to screencapture the image here Ramakrishna?

Ramakrishna said:
... Need ur suggestion on the below mail.
I agree with @Sunster
Sunster said:
... consult a professional and be careful of forum advice for something like this. Especially since the image originated from Aliexpress and we use a plugin to import that image without even knowing who owns the original image.

Doing internet research on PicRights (who seem to have made such claims in many countries), you'll see you're not the first and there are various comments on various websites with the best ones, being 'consult legal counsel'.

Did you know that even Pixabay uploads are targetted by that company?

In that Reddit post, the 'original' is a licenced Getty image (pricing found here) but they got it from the Pixabay website!!!

Doing a reverse image search today, you'll see that there are other websites with the exact image that the OP is getting sued for unauthorised use!

Similar uploads.JPG

Wonder if ALL the other website owners got (or will get) a PicRights pay up for using email too?

You'll also see that the licenced image has been removed from Pixabay website though.

Anyway will be interesting to see the offending image that is/was on your store if you choose to oblige.

Last edited:

Hey Ramakrishna, What happened with this?

elias23gr

I got the same email.
Since we Aliplugin dropshippers insert our listings to our eshops through Aliexpress suppliers we don't know if images are copyrighted/registered and we have no way to know it.
I intend to ignore their emails because smells like copyright trolls...
Of course I removed the listing of the specific product.

ukdivision

I had one from another company claiming copyright infringement on an image that was displayed on my customers website. The image had come from a RSS feed.

I wrote back explaining how it had appeared on this website, how sorry I was that it had happened and that it would immediately be removed. I received an email in return thanking me and saying no further action would be taken. Scary stuff though and an angry customer!

I would have imagined that alidropship.com had all the necessary agreements in place with Aliexpress to use text and images from their website for their clients use?

s.

Big Answer

I had to create an account to answer this this.

To minimize the problem, I suggest you to import all images to your server and dont serve it through alicdn. To do so, go to Alidropship>Settings>Updates and tick all the options such as featured image and click save. Next click upload. Wait for the process to complete.

Then get an image optimization plugin such as ShortPixel and use it to optimise the image. Before you begin the optimization process, make sure your options are set to remove metadata and EXIF properties from the optimised image. Removing EXIF properties means copyright tags and many other image identification properties are also removed. So, someone cant claim that the image belongs to a particular site as images are available on multiplesites for purchase and use. Facebook removes these properties as well.

What you also get with the optimization is faster web page load speed. You need to pay for ShortPixel but I am sure you can find free plugins if you look around. Just make sure they have an option to remove EXIF and metadata.

ukdivision

Thanks Big Answer. I use BatchPurifier Lite version which is free and fast.
This is not a plugin but software download from various sources. Try a search for it.