El-Greco theme images/icons issues with google speed test

kdb

The google speed test show errors as following with images and icons of themes:

1) Height and width
2) Alt missing

My suggestion is that put it on auto with for ALT with site description which will help in seo.

I have just upload samples need to fix the whole El-Greco theme.

Attachments

• alt-error-google-speedtest.JPG
    alt-error-google-speedtest.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 8
  • no widht-height.JPG
    no widht-height.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 8

chris37

The google speed test show errors as following with images and icons of themes:

1) Height and width
2) Alt missing

My suggestion is that put it on auto with for ALT with site description which will help in seo.

I have just upload samples need to fix the whole El-Greco theme.

All of the themes are like that :)

so if they put the same ALT to the images for the SEO, after so many sites active with the same themes is not gonna matter again ,

kdb

All of the themes are like that :)

so if they put the same ALT to the images for the SEO, after so many sites active with the same themes is not gonna matter again ,

Not same as I mentioned site description will added as alt for theme based images and icons; so every site have different descriptions or provide option to write our own ALT for images icons is better.

Currency flag icons should be hardcoded eg US flag must have same alt US or USA.

Your suggestions are always appreciated.

E

Ekaterina Sayapina

Hello,

Thank you for your question!

Indeed, a page might load a bit faster it Google knows dimensions of images. However, it wouldn't be right to add 'hard' height and width values to the demo images used in the theme as they can be replaced in the Customization settings. Some users might upload their own images and their dimensions might differ from the one offered by the theme.
Adding the same description text to all the images used in a website might not have a good impact in the overall SEO score.
You can always create a child theme if you want to add some custom changes to the code.

We'll add height and width properties to the flags used in our currency switcher and fill its alt tags. You've got a point. Thanks!

Reactions: kdb

chris37

Adding the same description text to all the images used in a website might not have a good impact in the overall SEO score.

That was my thought as well when first explain it.

But I think he tried to explain to be alt for all images depending from the domain each website is created.

The way the demo themes add the support email automatically following the domain name , for example if my domain is loveforlikes.com
The contact pages demo is automatically created the support@loveforlike.com email.

Maybe Is a way to add automatically for example the delivery icon to have the alt "delivery icon loveforlike"

When I try to add this myself I found most of those image are SVG Text , I am not sure how to add the alt there.

P.S I personal found it too much work to do it manually and because all of the theme are created with this way is not really matter

We must remember we use online stores not a gtmetrix.com like website that is only text base .We need this extra icons and images for we promote what we sell.

I see many people get in upset if the have score 15% in Google page speed .

But that is not the loading speed.

If your website onload is 3-4 second you don't have nothing to worry about it.

chris37

We'll add height and width properties to the flags used in our currency switcher and fill its alt tags. You've got a point. Thanks!

I have remove the images long time ago :)

IRCpzh.jpg

Reactions: kdb

kdb

Indeed, a page might load a bit faster it Google knows dimensions of images. However, it wouldn't be right to add 'hard' height and width values to the demo images used in the theme as they can be replaced in the Customization settings. Some users might upload their own images and their dimensions might differ from the one offered by the theme.

Thanks for the reply, as per the dimensions mentioned in the theme I have uploaded the exact same size so still receiving the same error.
As we have to upload the exact size then hardcode them might be ok, but not sure the effect on mobile.

You can always create a child theme if you want to add some custom changes to the code.

Here I am talking about the ALT of images/icons of the theme, so the warning of google or site audit platform will not flag it.

Thanks hope to have those functions soon.

The theme is taking long time to load ajax on home page and product page, Cart, upsell took 3-5 seconds which is huge.

regards,
kdb