Currency Switcher According to Location

Nivk

I have seen a few woo commerce plugins that will set the currency according to users location , does the alidropship theme have anything similiar or recommend a particular plugin?

Yaros

Staff member
I have seen a few woo commerce plugins that will set the currency according to users location , does the alidropship theme have anything similiar or recommend a particular plugin?
The plugin does not provide such option. I will check what plugins can handle this.

alioop

This one needs to be there. At first I thought this was actually more of a gimmick to display pricing in local currency until I had lots of people ask me what is the conversion rate to their local currency. Even having the manual switcher there, they might not know where to find it, so the automated switching is useful.

I have another (maybe better) method of displaying it, since we checkout at USD, it's best to display their currency besides the main currency instead of replacing it. I've only ever seen it implemented in world.taobao.com. Although i find it strange why Ali being international portal doesn't have every countries currency shown in the same manner as taobao.

It looks like this:

Item ABC. 10.00 USD (Approx 9.26 EUR)

On the other hand, i don't know if the plugin supports billing in multiple currencies, but if it can be done, i think it will convert better. Lots of people don't like to be billed in a foreign currency (or rather they feel more comfortable seeing their local currency as an assurance). It may lead to issue on paypal side because the currencies will be split, and cashing out from a weaker currency is not a good thing.

You see, shopify is kinda lousy in this aspect where each currency has to be in a separate store (thus sucking more money out of you on top of the already expensive monthly $29). The reality is it can be done via paypal API easily. Now with this plugin, having this feature will be useful for some of the major currencies and will thus improve conversion rate. If you google the term, you will see lots of people asking about having this feature and shopify's reply was just that- you need to pay for every store. This will be super if done on this plugin.

Last edited:

alioop

Converting it will be causing confusion when they are about to pay. Unless you also enable them to checkout in multiple currencies.

In shopify, you will have to inform buyers at the END of the funnel they need to pay in USD. And you need to get their "premium" plan in order to do so. This makes no difference in terms of losing that customer's sales because he thinks he can checkout in that currency and being told he can't.

That is why i suggested to embed their currency besides the actual billing currency. That way they see both, and wont get a bill shock when they pay. Each part of the funnel from the start shows him 2 currencies, and when he finally pay he won't be "offended" with the USD rate.

Jaro

Yaros, you're a genious congrats on this plugin, I'm a programmer and the logic behind how you constructed it is exactly the same how I would do it - so easy to navigate!
I'm here to bump the request of billing in multiple currencies. As it's been said here, it's a real game changer and actually the only reason why I left Shopify. The thing is that when you have customers from all around the world you just need to support checkout currency being flexible according to where the customer lives.

It looks like not everybody knows that there's too many countries where people cannot even pay in a different currency with their credit card (e.g. Denmark) or they just are not comfortable to pay not even with credit cards and prefer direct deposit - where the importance of a local checkout currency possibility is CRUCIAL. They will simply not pay at all if they don't see that option because in many cases they just can't. I'm talking from experience with many of them.

So this way I'd like to ask you to do something like this: https://codecanyon.net/item/woocommerce-all-in-one-currency-converter/11519287

or like this:

where they even thought of the basic woocommerce dashboard and reports so it doesn't get messed up and you can nicely show reports by choosing among currencies from a drop-down menu: https://wpml.org/documentation/rela...tilingual/multi-currency-support-woocommerce/

These are the best plugins for local currency checkout billing but it would be great if you implemented that to your alidroship plugin. Yaros Btw. so far when you don't have this feature, do you think these plugins are compatible with alidropship?

Thanks in advance for your reply

Nor

Yaros, you're a genious congrats on this plugin, I'm a programmer and the logic behind how you constructed it is exactly the same how I would do it - so easy to navigate!
I'm here to bump the request of billing in multiple currencies. As it's been said here, it's a real game changer and actually the only reason why I left Shopify. The thing is that when you have customers from all around the world you just need to support checkout currency being flexible according to where the customer lives.

It looks like not everybody knows that there's too many countries where people cannot even pay in a different currency with their credit card (e.g. Denmark) or they just are not comfortable to pay not even with credit cards and prefer direct deposit - where the importance of a local checkout currency possibility is CRUCIAL. They will simply not pay at all if they don't see that option because in many cases they just can't. I'm talking from experience with many of them.

So this way I'd like to ask you to do something like this: https://codecanyon.net/item/woocommerce-all-in-one-currency-converter/11519287

or like this:

where they even thought of the basic woocommerce dashboard and reports so it doesn't get messed up and you can nicely show reports by choosing among currencies from a drop-down menu: https://wpml.org/documentation/rela...tilingual/multi-currency-support-woocommerce/

These are the best plugins for local currency checkout billing but it would be great if you implemented that to your alidroship plugin. Yaros Btw. so far when you don't have this feature, do you think these plugins are compatible with alidropship?

Thanks in advance for your reply

I second this option, very good idea to implement indeed.

alioop

They will simply not pay at all if they don't see that option because in many cases they just can't

Actually, it's not that they can't. More like they want to know what is the rate in their local currency first. Heck, i do that from time to time on some sites by going into google and convert it, because i'm paying from my pocket with my hard earned money.

If they hold visa/mastercard/whichever the conversion will be done by those parties. Some people don't know such things. Some people just don't want to pay in a foreign currency (even though USD is the global). Now i'm from SEA, lots of currencies, and I can tell you I won't pay in their currency even though i'm the stronger one. Because it is a psychological thing. As a weaker currency, If I see USD, i'm more willing to pay, because it's global, but if i see AUD, GBP, NZD, nope.

Jaro

Ok everything is possible but if they can then many times with a lot of struggles and we are talking here about the statistical disadvantage (leaving money on the table for no reason) of not having the possibility for the customer to pay in their local currency.

Here you can see some complaints on this issue with Shopify: https://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/who.../multiple-currency-checkout-on-shopify-175348
so for example -->

one guy on that discussion from Denmark says:
In Denmark we have credit cards that cannot be charged in other currency than Danish kroner. So people cannot use their card on out Shopify shop, because it is in EUR. (we need it to be in EUR due to our customers outside Denmark).

and one guy from Indonesia:
My shop is based in Indonesia and people here still prefer to use bank transfer option and use local currency. I understand that payment gateways do not support some currencies, therefore I use USD as the base currency for my shop and enable the bank transfer option.
I've received many complaints and drop offs because people do not know the amount to transfer in local currency when they are on the checkout page. They only see the total price in USD. Shopify needs to simplify the checkout process and provide an option to show multiple currencies on the checkout page.

80% of people in Mexico use OXXO or direct deposit, something similar is in other countries..even in my country Slovakia when I wanted to direct deposit pay something to a Hungarian bank account in forints (HUF), there was some stupid problem. The checkout page has already a huge abandonment rate and adding another problem such as with the currencies just doesn't help.

That's just an example, the problem is very real and it's funny/sad that so few people realize it.

alioop

I'm not saying it is bad. In fact i am saying it is a good thing to enable checkout in their local currency, maybe you've read my comment wrongly.

I didn't encounter a "can't pay in USD" from my country, so i didn't know of the issues you've said. But I know it is a disadvantage as some countries buying behavior is "prefer to" pay, as i've said earlier. Obviously having more paying option is beneficial, as you would guess some countries can't pay using paypal, and need to pay using another gateway. That's entirely a different matter, but that's why Ali themselves have so many paying option as do lots of ecomm.

The downside to target international, unless you're willing to integrate every payment gateway out there, which is quite unlikely. That's where international gateway exist. My suggestion will be the first step, to show them in their currency, whether they can/cannot pay, willing or not willing, that's very hard to control. But, i believe paypal can enable few countries local payment already anyway, and it covers all major currencies. This is the 2nd step.

Yaros

Staff member
Yaros, I actually need your response as soon as possible as I'm about to buy one of those plugins that I mentioned for local currency checkout.
Which of them do you think is more compatible with your alidropship plugin and Davinci theme?

https://codecanyon.net/item/woocommerce-all-in-one-currency-converter/11519287
or
https://wpml.org/documentation/rela...tilingual/multi-currency-support-woocommerce/

?
Seems they both work with Woo commerce, so you will be able to use only once AliDropship is available for Woo

Jaro

ok thanks and what do you mean by "you will be able to use only once AliDropship is available for Woo"?
...AliDropship is not compatible/available for Woocommerce yet?

Jaro

yes, current version is not.
wtf, wow....that means I cannot use Alidropship..Can somebody please tell me when it's going to be compatible with Woocommerce?

Or at least the local currency checkout made possible? It shouldn't take so much time to code. Or Yaros, can you please tell me what piece of code I should put to functions, etc. so that the customer can pay in their local currency at the checkout? I really need this solution ASAP.

Last edited:

dezigna

At the rate it's going, doesn't seem like woocommerce integration is coming before next year. Use another solution if you want woocom functionality. Bought the plugin before too and still waiting. Not able to switch from Shopify at this time because this thing is not usable and Yaros still cannot commit to an ETA or roadmap.

alioop

what piece of code I should put to functions
It's not as simple as 1 line of code. He could update the theme when there's enough people upvote this.

And no, shopify doesn't mean it's solution is perfect either. As i've said many times, display is only 1 thing, actually able to checkout in their currency is another. Even if i am shown a local currency, it doesn't make me want to buy it because the checkout still shows me the store currency. And if you want to get the full functionality of alerting users about paying in store currency, it's costly. And if you truly want to enable multicurrency checkout, you will have to open another shopify account, buy inventory sync plugin (not possible since if you use oberlo, oberlo themselves need to support it, when it does they are gonna charge it for sure).

I wont say it's unusable. There's a few things need to improve to make it on par with the top platforms, and all at a cost of $89, plugin having just made 1 year ago, perhaps is asking too much.

Shopify = Pay pay and pay. I've seen one person mentioned he already used 600$ per month just for 1 store.
Alidropship = Pay once. And features gradually added at 0 cost. 89$ only.

Last edited:

Shays

what piece of code I should put to functions

lol this would make a nice answer for a development job interview. :)

When Alidropship will be compatible with WooCom, this plugin would be even more killer. This would definitely make me buy a second and third licenses.