Electric Sunburst Guitar - I regret this purchase

A

aribmass

Had a great Black Friday this year and got a lot of useful stuff, but this piece was not one of them.

I read the page, watched videos and the fact that this is not a completely playable instrument was never alluded to.

Opened it up for the first time in a production session tonight and wonder why I can't play single note lines, like any other instrument can - every note is triggering an arpeggiator. And that's not the featured patterns, those are turned off. Okay, I'm new to NI and Kontakt player, I'll search around.

And I'm not the only one caught out: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/electric-sunburst-warning.341773/

This page (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/session-guitarist-electric-sunburst/) does nothing to inform buyers like myself correctly and this phrase "A perfectly captured, playable electric guitar" directly promises playability, ie, being able to play lead lines and create patterns. Like any decent guitarist can do.

But not with this you can't. Now I see a deluxe version that can do what ought to be a bare minimum.

---
This really pisses me off. I put a lot of effort into finding legal, free and quality alternatives for my production needs, and learning to use well what I already have. Logic already has an enormous wealth of good almost everything. But really quality bass, piano and guitar I decided I needed.

I sppent most of Black Friday weekend researching Piano Noire and the Rickenbacker, and am absolutely stoked I bought them. The Noire is the best piano I found anywhere for the specs, easily. Incredible. I'll dissuade friends from Ravencroft, Pianoteq and even Spectrasonics now. And the Rickenbacker is an absolute beast.

But this is borderline false advertising from NI with the Sunburst: if the plugin instrument is missing an essential feature of the instrument it emulates, it should be made explicit. Imagine a piano plugin that harmonises every note you play, and you can't turn that off.

I've chucked 70 NZD away on something I have little use for here. On sale that's not even worth it to me. Obviously can't resell it or get a refund, and it seems like NI is another Amazon-type juggernaut with no contact, and a read-only community support page.

Clotibrut

Welcome to the community. You are not the only one who made this mistake. I wasn't aware that sunburst is a style of finishing for musical instruments such as electric and acoustic guitars and electric basses. At the center of a sunburst-finished surface is an area of lighter color (often showing the wood grain underneath) that darkens gradually towards the edges before hitting a dark rim. I bought the guitar and some accessories from https://ironageaccessories.com/collections/choosing-the-right-pick. I still have the accessories but not the guitar :D.

Last edited:

echloe

Had a great Black Friday this year and got a lot of useful stuff, but this piece was not one of them.

I read the page, watched videos and the fact that this is not a completely playable instrument was never alluded to.

Opened it up for the first time in a production session tonight and wonder why I can't play single note lines, like any other instrument can - every note is triggering an arpeggiator. And that's not the featured patterns, those are turned off. Okay, I'm new to NI and Kontakt player, I'll search around.

And I'm not the only one caught out:

This page does nothing to inform buyers like myself correctly and this phrase "A perfectly captured, playable electric guitar" directly promises playability, ie, being able to play lead lines and create patterns. Like any decent guitarist can do.

But not with this you can't. Now I see a deluxe version that can do what ought to be a bare minimum.

---
This really pisses me off. I put a lot of effort into finding legal, free and quality alternatives for my production needs, and learning to use well what I already have. Logic already has an enormous wealth of good almost everything. But really quality bass, piano and guitar I decided I needed.

I sppent most of Black Friday weekend researching Piano Noire and the Rickenbacker, and am absolutely stoked I bought them. The Noire is the best piano I found anywhere for the specs, easily. Incredible service of kontorflytting. I'll dissuade friends from Ravencroft, Pianoteq and even Spectrasonics now. And the Rickenbacker is an absolute beast.

But this is borderline false advertising from NI with the Sunburst: if the plugin instrument is missing an essential feature of the instrument it emulates, it should be made explicit. Imagine a piano plugin that harmonises every note you play, and you can't turn that off.

I've chucked 70 NZD away on something I have little use for here. On sale that's not even worth it to me. Obviously can't resell it or get a refund, and it seems like NI is another Amazon-type juggernaut with no contact, and a read-only community support page.
I’ve got to get my J-35 from St. Paul, MN, to Manchester, UK. Looking at UPS, the cost is roughly the same as a round-trip ticket. I found an outfit in California called Ship Guitars that uses UPS, but gets a volume discount that knocks several hundred dollars off the price.

When I emailed Willie’s American Guitars in St. Paul to ask what they do — it’s a world-renown shop and ships internationally — they recommended the U.S. Postal Service. I checked and it is WAY cheaper than UPS (naturally) but my experience mailing/shipping things internationally via USPS over the past couple of years has not been reassuring. But the price difference is pretty big.

Any thoughts?