Image uploading creates HUGE folder !

I have now about 200 products and i took a look how much disc space is used. It was around 10 gigabytes already. And almost all (8Gb) is in upload folder as jpg pictures. Amount of pictures is 246994. Amount is so big that cpanel cannot even show contents of folder and also windows freezes on this (transferred) folder. Why is there more than 1000 images per product ? In typical aliexpress product can be 50 pictures. Not 1000. Since its impossibe to open folder with quarter million pictures i am kind of stuck here. Would be very much work to delete the upload folder and start over. And even if i would, the same probably happens again.

So i did some investigations with new product. it will make 24 different versions of every single picture ! So there is really 1000 new images after every import ! Now i have 8GB folder with 246000 images which is impossible to clean. I am only in start with my 234 products, final amout being somewhere in few thousands. So such "1 picture becomes 24 pictures" is really not an option on limited web server space. Also moving such site later would be a problem. Backing up is a problem. Only problems.

There should be a way to clean this image "bank" and refresh the products image locations "in bulk" so that they start pointing again to original location (if this x24 issue is not fixed).

I was hoping settings -> product images -> upload images
would work when i untick the boxes and star over. But it
does nothing to this folder. What is uploaded, stays uploaded.
So stays picture links in every single product.

Also totally removing product removes only the page, not uploaded images.

Please fix these issues.

I dont import image to my server Save me lots of space
There are reasons to have images on your own server. What if source path of the images happens to change over there in China ? Then you lose all your images and have to start your whole site over. Also your page shows the source of them and this is not a good thing to show customers.

kevgl

Have you tried to remove the whole folder yet (with FTP) instead of opening it? I have had this thing too once and it was such a chaos i had to start over..

I'm not gonna remove the folder and start over many week's work. There is also other images for the site, not only product images. All in same folder. Instead from now on, all future imports have to be without local pictures. Until they fix that problem.

So this is how one single image inflates to 24 versions/copies of the same image to eat disc space:

1. 800x800
2. 800x800 (Duplicate)
3. 150x150
4. 200x200
5. 220x220
6. 285x177
7. 300x300
8. 350x350
9. 450x450
10. 150x150
11. 50x50
12. 640x640
13. 768x768
14. 800x349

More duplicates with same sizes:
15. 200x200
16. 220x220
17. 285x177
18. 300x300
19. 350x350
20. 450x450
21. 50x50
22. 640x640
23. 768x768
24. 800x349

What is the point here ? I could understand 2 or 3 versions due to different screen sizes but not 24 !

kevgl

I'm not gonna remove the folder and start over many week's work. There is also other images for the site, not only product images. All in same folder. Instead from now on, all future imports have to be without local pictures. Until they fix that problem.

So this is how one single image inflates to 24 versions/copies of the same image to eat disc space:
What is the point here ? I could understand 2 or 3 versions due to different screen sizes but not 24 !
Maybe if you have let it run twice that could explain the duplicates.
I tried some different plugins (WP Smush and so on) and also got all of these images in different sizes. For media cleaning, maybe this can help?
https://nl.wordpress.org/plugins/media-cleaner/

tomrreid

There are reasons to have images on your own server. What if source path of the images happens to change over there in China ? Then you lose all your images and have to start your whole site over. Also your page shows the source of them and this is not a good thing to show customers.
Where does it show the source of images ?

tomrreid

Review images: In browsers footer. When you put mouse over the picture.
All other: Open image in new tab/window
I dont think many people will open a thumbnail in a new tab. That's the only place can I see the URL to the image. If I enlarge image and put the cursor over thumbs at bottom I do not get a URL?

kevgl

Hi everyone, same here, plenty of unused images which creating a big upload folder, I've tried to use the media cleaner plugin https://meowapps.com/media-cleaner/ but it was removing used images as well. Did anyone find a solution? We need a plugin which can verify the products images and delete the rest.
Hi, you say it is removing images that are used aswell. Did you even look at the issues that are given? Images with issue "Seems not in use" can be deleted, other images should not be deleted. Maybe you haven't paid attention and just selected all to delete?

Gil

Hi, you say it is removing images that are used aswell. Did you even look at the issues that are given? Images with issue "Seems not in use" can be deleted, other images should not be deleted. Maybe you haven't paid attention and just selected all to delete?

Yes it's writing "Seems not in use" for images that appear on the page.